Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Barking

Options
  • 29-03-2011 8:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

I have a 7 month old Newfoundland who I got when he was 3 months, up until about 3 weeks ago he almost never barked but suddenly he has started barking at random times during the day while looking out the sitting room window or wandering round the back garden, I have no idea what started this or what he does be barking at, he is a nice calm lazy dog, just what it says on the tin, he is a full male, anyone any ideas on what causing it or how to stop him thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

STRANGER DANGER!! :pac: It sounds like he's starting to guard the house/you - my GR started around the same time. A knock on the door, somebody opening the gate or strangers next door when we're out the back will make him bark. Usually once I tell him it's ok he'll stop - if he doesn't stop and we're outside I bring him in so he's not bothering anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

When he starts barking I do tell him to stop and pet him but he just looks back out the window and starts barking again, I wouldn't mind if there was something out there but I don't see anything, he never barks if anyone knocks at the door, like you said tk123 I just don't want him annoying the neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Mine started around the same time. Theyre hearing is unbelievable...They hear car doors closing and foot steps that we have to strain to hear.
    Worst thing is where we live there is communal parking and we live right beside the car park so no one gets in or out of our cul de sac without me knowing about it!
    Most of the time telling them it's ok does the trick but sometimes whatever it is about the person they will continue to bark. Can be a bit embarassing when it's the neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

My neighbours have a kid under 12 months so that's my main concern about the barking, I only moved in shortly before getting my little monster so don't want to start off on the wrong foot

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

there wasnt a peep out of mine till she was 6/7months and now she always barking she doesnt no what shes barking at she just copys the other dog and then when he stops she keeps going cause she is just excited!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

when he barks i wouldnt be petting him. a firm no/quiet what ever word you want to use. id imagine petting him would be inforcing the behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

try a firm ah ah in a VERY disapproving tone of voice, usually stops them, works with mine anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

A squirt of water to the face from a water squirter worked perfectly for me. Quick results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

I have a 7 month old Newfoundland who I got when he was 3 months, up until about 3 weeks ago he almost never barked but suddenly he has started barking at random times during the day while looking out the sitting room window or wandering round the back garden, I have no idea what started this or what he does be barking at, he is a nice calm lazy dog, just what it says on the tin, he is a full male, anyone any ideas on what causing it or how to stop him thanks

He's either guarding or bored. If hes guarding thats grand to a certain extent but when the barking is out of control or unwanted then he needs to be told so without petting as portgirl123 said. If he gets plenty of exercise then guarding is the obvious reason. Otherwise, more walks!

Give us a pic there so we can have a good look at him, they are beautiful dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zulu wrote: »
    A squirt of water to the face from a water squirter worked perfectly for me. Quick results.

:pac: Hey this is big dog barking not little baby puppy squeaks! :D It's like woo-woo-woo-woo-woof and maybe some growling too for good measure. My guy woke up out of his sleep one evening around 11:30 doing stranger danger barks - I was afriad of my life thinking an axe murder was out in the hall! :pac::pac:

Anyhoos OP my take on it is if somebody comes into the garden or god forbid breaks in I want him to bark and tell me so I let him give a few warning barks. It's also a handy for ensuring that who ever is knocking at door bothering me will close the gate firmly behind them :pac:
    You could teach always him the speak/quiet commands and when he barks too much just tell him to be quiet.;) I'd use a clicker btw so you get the timing right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Zulu wrote: »

Must try this. Problems at the moment. Also chasing a few cars lately.

Advertisement