Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance?

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm new on this and can't find any threads discussing my question.
    I'm 19 years old and have quite dramatic hypermobility and spondylolisthesis resulting in severe chronic back pain and overall joint pain almost constantly. Also I have nerve pain down my leg and in my bum! I can't work seeing as almost anything in excess causes me pain. I can't wash dishes, carry or lift anything heavy, stand or sit for more than half an hour and when I'm having a particularly bad day I cant even dress or wash myself and find it hard getting out of bed. I had to drop out of school also. I've been prescribed medicated patches, lyrica and paracetamol which doesn't seem to make my life any easier. So I applied for disability allowance 3 months ago and still haven't had any meetings or word of what the story is. I've been totally poor for the past 3 months and owe my parents a lot of money and I'm starting to worry cause lots of people say it's really hard to qualify. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was. Sorry for my first post being so long! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

While you are waiting on a payment you can go to your Community Welfare Officer for assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MiniMed

I have a close family member with this experience and would say you have quite a good chance of getting the allowance. I think they are quite slow and 3-4 months might be the standard wait until you hear from the local people. You will still have a few hoops to jump through after that.

Does anyone know how long after being approved for DA you get arrears paid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Up to 1 year waiting time for disability allowance or invalidity pension.

Recession,lack of social wellfare people to sort out all the claims and a huge amount of social wellfare appeals means a massive backlog and a long waiting time.

Your best bet is arrange a meeting ASAP with your local CWO and bring ALL medical evidence with you to back up what you say.

They wont just take your word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Hi, I'm new on this and can't find any threads discussing my question.
    I'm 19 years old and have quite dramatic hypermobility and spondylolisthesis resulting in severe chronic back pain and overall joint pain almost constantly. Also I have nerve pain down my leg and in my bum! I can't work seeing as almost anything in excess causes me pain. I can't wash dishes, carry or lift anything heavy, stand or sit for more than half an hour and when I'm having a particularly bad day I cant even dress or wash myself and find it hard getting out of bed. I had to drop out of school also. I've been prescribed medicated patches, lyrica and paracetamol which doesn't seem to make my life any easier. So I applied for disability allowance 3 months ago and still haven't had any meetings or word of what the story is. I've been totally poor for the past 3 months and owe my parents a lot of money and I'm starting to worry cause lots of people say it's really hard to qualify. I was just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what the outcome was. Sorry for my first post being so long! Thanks

Sounds bad.

So what do you actually do with yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know someone in a similar situation, she is now immobile and has only applied 3 months. She was quoted 1 year+ wait.

She was told it would be back dated to the date her fully completed application was received at the Social welfare office.

Does anyone know can she nominate her husband or someone else to act on her behalf as she is immobile. She has no mental issues at all just a physical problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

paddy147 wrote: »
    Up to 1 year waiting time for disability allowance or invalidity pension.

Recession,lack of social wellfare people to sort out all the claims and a huge amount of social wellfare appeals means a massive backlog and a long waiting time.

Your best bet is arrange a meeting ASAP with your local CWO and bring ALL medical evidence with you to back up what you say.

They wont just take your word for it.

it depends on you location i applied for it in january and got a text back saying my application was being processes.i get a a letter about a month later saying to go for a medical,but it was falling on the same date that i was to see a specialst so irang them and told them that i could not attend the medical,they where sound about it i had to send a copy of my medical appointment to them and they are going to set up a new appointment for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 scotgirl

Naughto, what location / area are you in?

Thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GillerzDizzle

Just got my letter today and was denied, which I was pretty disheartened about at first but now realize that most people get denied these days so I'm going to appeal the decision and throw everything I have at them!
    Does anyone know how long the appeal will take roughly? And also if my appeal gets approved will I get back pay from the date I first applied which was 4 months ago now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GillerzDizzle

shoegirl wrote: »
    Sounds bad.

So what do you actually do with yourself?

It is pretty horrid and boredom completely kills me most days but I just have to wait until I have some money saved up so I can do an online course, which would be nice and flexable for my needs, and finally I can further my education =) I also watch a LOT of movies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just got my letter today and was denied, which I was pretty disheartened about at first but now realize that most people get denied these days so I'm going to appeal the decision and throw everything I have at them!
    Does anyone know how long the appeal will take roughly? And also if my appeal gets approved will I get back pay from the date I first applied which was 4 months ago now?

You will be waiting up to 1 full year if you appeal now.:eek::mad:

Recession,SW funding cuts,lack of SW staff and allmost everyone appealing to the SW is causing a massive backlog.

If you get an oral hearing,than that is much better than getting an apeal assesment with a doctor.

The oral appeals officers are better and nicer to deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

You can apply for illness benefit where you go into your doctor and get a cert every week to bring into the social welfare office then they pay you into your bank account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

no she/he cant darokane. he/she doesnt have the required amount of PRSI contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    no she/he cant darokane. he/she doesnt have the required amount of PRSI contributions.

ahhhhhhh that would make sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I was refused D A last july and I appealed it to sw appeals office. I only heard back today that my appeal was allowed, Thats 11 months. You can claim Supp Welfare Allowance while you are awaiting the outcome of your appeal. They dont expect you to live on nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Naughto, what location / area are you in?

Thanx

sorry for got to reply to this iam in mayo and in bold to day for some reason;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

I am in a similar position to the OP, I have been to the doctor numerous times about it and have just had an MRI scan in hospital, I applied in feb (2011), lady in local office said they are dealing with january claims at present and they will be dealing with februarys clamims in July, so fingers crossed!

As a side what exactly happens if I do get accepted, I am currently on JSA for myself, partner & 2children, I hear people talking about arrears?? what does that mean exactly?

:confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement