Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

butterfly needle blood test

Options
  • 29-03-2011 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

somebody recently told me they had a blood test done with a butterfly needle in dublin. I hate needles and really have quite a big fear of them. I need a blood test and have been putting it off for months. It would be a great relief to be able to get it done with a butterfly needle. I dont know where this person got the blood test and Im wondering does anybody know of any blood testing service that uses them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Every blood test I've had in the past few years, and I've had quite a few,has used a butterfly needle. I'd say it's the most common type of needle used for blood testing now. Ring up your GP or wherever it is you usually go for tests and ask if they will use that needle. Id say more than likely they will.

I know when you have a phobia it doesn't help when people say not to worry and that it'll be fine but it really will. You might have had a bad experience in the past but these days phlebotomists etc are very gentle and try hard to make sure that you're comfortable. A bad experience is very unlikely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wasn't sure what was meant by butterfly needle, but a bit of Googleing suggest that it is probably not actualy that good an option for someone who is that nervous of needles.

Looks like they are used for children and people with particularly difficult to get at veins, but actually make for potentially trickier drawing of the blood and that it is more likely to need to be repeated as blood may clot in the tubing.

I used to have no problem at all getting blood taken, actually liked watching it be done. Now I'm not so keen on other people coming at me with needles since years of doing it to myself. I just ignore what they are saying about a "little scratch"* and watch the opposite wall these days and it's all over quick enough.

*Might work the first time they say it to someone, but there is no way it feels anything like a scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 fioc

I have always been pathologically terrified of needles- however, my Gp was brillIANt...She told me to bring my i pod (which made a huge difference)..She used a tiny suction needle and it was over and done with in seconds...She told me about butterflly system- apparently they are usually only used for kids or when all else fails...PM me if u want details)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I have to get blood tests done in Beaumont every 6weeks or so. I am not afraid of needles at all, but my veins are so small, they often use butterfly needles. sometimes they don't have them there in the phlebotomy clinic and have to go and get one somewhere else, but i'm sure if you just ask they'll use one on you. Or just tell them before you start that "I always have to have butterfly used on my veins"
    But they wont use one just for the fear element, I think they'll only use it if they physically cant get to your veins.

Advertisement