Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Hornbeam hedge behind 3' picket fence - what happens when I remove fence?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I just planted bare-root hornbeam whips. I need to put in a fence to keep my kids off the road and indeed to remove the temptation to be going through the growing hedge.

I am thinking of a 3 ft high picket fence, but I can't leave much gap (maybe an inch) between the pickets to avoid the kids climbing over using the rails. When the hedge matures and closes over, I would ideally like to remove the pickets to save maintenance and show off the hedge itself.

My question is, if I have such a fence, will it stop the growth of side branches on that side? And when I remove the pickets, will the bottom of the hedge develop side branches / leaves?

If not, I might have to rethink the whole picket fence idea.

Wondered what your thoughts are please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not put in a chainlink fence (wirenetting) and just leave it for the hornbeam to grow through, eventually it will disappear but will stop animals (and children) from creating runways through the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭eamonn4321

Sounds like a good idea. I might not let it grow through it though in case I ever need to remove the hedge, touch wood. I might put it up to the outside of the hedge, let the hedge grow to it, trim inside it, and eventually when I have a proper hedge, remove the fence. Am thinking I might put 1/2" aviary wire inside the wirelink fence as well, to stop them trying to get a toehold for climbing.

Any other thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

If you are in an open area you could put up somewind break, this really does make a difference to the growth and protection of the hedge will keep the kids in too and stop them walking through the plants would be cheaper than the fencing.

What age are the kids. If they are young - as they seem to be - don't let on that the fence is to keep them off the road, it is to help the hedge grow. Let them help put it up and then ask them to 'mind' a stretch of hedge and see whose is in the best condition at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

hmmm - that might just lead each one to wreck the other's stretch :-)

• Advertisement

Lol, there is that!

I knew this was not going to be simple :D

Am thinking windbreak might just be the way to go, need to put it up anyway. Only concern is that its flimsy, but I think if I put one rail across the top, and one on the bottom, it should be enough to hold it in place without making the fence into a climbing frame suitable for escape attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

eamonn4321 wrote: »
    I knew this was not going to be simple :D

Am thinking windbreak might just be the way to go, need to put it up anyway. Only concern is that its flimsy, but I think if I put one rail across the top, and one on the bottom, it should be enough to hold it in place without making the fence into a climbing frame suitable for escape attempts.
    Shouldnt need rails across the top, just nail it tight to upright stakes at regular interval, keep it simple only needs to be there a few years.

Hmm, there is a certain amount of stretch in that stuff no matter how tight you nail it, although I may certainly be wrong on that, so I think it would be safer to have rail across the top to keep it at the right height to stop them leaning on it to get over it in the middle of each span. Also would prob look better on the road frontage I think? Will have to try it out to see I suppose.

Thanks again Is Mise Astra - so glad I used windbreak - both sides, as April was unreal with wind, lots of plants died but not my hornbeam whips :-)

My only query now is whether to top them at some point to stop them being too leggy ongoing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Redwood77

Hi Eamon.

The windbreak should really help to give the hedge a good start.
    Good choice with the Carpinus aswell, looks very similiar to green beech hedge but much faster growing.
    These should be pruned twice a year (winter and summer)until establishment and after that perhaps just in summer. If the leader bracnch hasn't reached the hedge height you desire, trim it back by 6" anyway. this will promote side branch development and help to bush up the hedge.
    Don' allow any heavy or long branches to develop or you will not get a bushy hedge. Tipping back a growing point means that branch will send out more side branches behind the point and thus a bushier hedge.

That's great, thanks Redwood77!

Advertisement