Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propeller Damage - New or Repair?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Just looking for advice for a change.

I've a 2 stroke 8hp outboard and the prop may have been inadvertantly introduced to a rock or two on Lough Corrib last year with the water levels being so low - not driver error at all..!!

Got a quote to repair it of about €80 so wondering if buying a new prop is a better option but can't seem to find a website that sells them or at least find out how much a new one is likely to to cost.

Any good sites or shops in the Galway area you could recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

New props aren't cheap. So that repair could be excellent value!
    You didn't say which make of outboard you have, and I expect that limits the choices of suitable props.
    You might try contacting Duffy's of Headford.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i got a new prop for yamaha 15hp 2stroke for 90euro i think it was,from flood marine services....prob be aswell to buy a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

If you have anybody in the states a complay called First Choice Marine do SOLAS props, they should be around $60 for an 8hp. I've got several 15hp yam and honda props there and they are first class. What make of engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Thanks for the advice lads. It's a Yamaha engine, got a couple of quotes from Dublin and they reckoned it would be at €175 so we're going with the repair for now.

Duck fly are hatching so there's trout for me to catch miss so need my engine quick!

Tight lines :D

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Caribs wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice lads. It's a Yamaha engine, got a couple of quotes from Dublin and they reckoned it would be at €175 so we're going with the repair for now.

Duck fly are hatching so there's trout for me to catch miss so need my engine quick!

Tight lines :D

why is it so dear for an 8hp one when the 15 was half that?? got mine a yr ago and it was def no dearer than 90euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

175 my ar*e, these are excellent props and more hard wearing then the yam originals. We have been using them for years on the Corrib and they can take a beating.

http://www.marineparts.ie/propellers/yamaha-1/yamaha-propellers-from-6hp-to-8hp.html

Bloody hell, must have been big windows in those shops as they saw me coming from a mile off.

I missed your post link Bayliner, that'll learn me! Will deffo take a look at that site and ur one too Gary - cheers lads.

Just checked out the Marine Site Gary - really sick as a pig now..!!

Advertisement