Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Passport - Help please

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I did a quick search and didn't see any threads on this. My girlfriend's lost her passport within the last few weeks, we've torn the house apart (as we're also moving house) and its just gone. Thing is she needs a new one quite urgently as she starts a new job next week and she needs to be able to prove she can work in the UK, even though we've been over since 2008.

We're encountering a number of catch-22 problems in applying for a new one and are looking for any answers that ye may have.

1. She spent an hour and a half trying to ring the passport office in london today with no-one answering.

2. She has no other form of picture ID (but she has now blagged herself an under-25 railcard). She has her passport number. Her former employers don't have a photocopy of the passport.

3. She doesn't have a longform birth cert, only a standard copy - We've spoken to the Irish centre in Willesden who think this will be okay?

4. You need a form signed by a 'trusted person who knows you' or somesuch. She went into a police station today and they wouldn't report the passport as missing and also wouldn't sign the form. They said a doctor or solicitor needs to sign it. We're both healthy 20-somethings who (maybe stupidly) haven't registered with a doctor since we arrived 3 years ago cos we've never needed one. Ditto solicitors. To sign up with a doctor you need a ...... photo id. :rolleyes:

5. She has a p45, but if she gets the ball rolling and applies for the passport by post she has to send it away, but her new employer needs to see those things next week.

6. We live in Brighton, so we really don't want to waste our time going up to the passport office unless we know they can sort her out.

So, we're just wondering is the best thing to do to just head up to Knightsbridge and explain the situation and they'll sort us out or what should we do? Does anyone have any recent experience of the Irish passport office in London? Are they helpful? how long does it take, etc?

The way we see it, it must happen Irish tourists all the time, yet she lives over here and its turning into a bit of a nightmare.

Sorry if this went on a bit, but it's really worrying her, especially with the house move on top.

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Have had a few friends in similar situations, the passport office is your best bet but they'll usually insist on a birth cert (not sure what form) to issue you a new one. Getting a trusted person usually isnt too hard, accountants / cops / priests etc. or sometimes you can even pay a solicitor to do it (if you have enough supporting documentation).

Getting the passport office to answer the phone is a nightmare, hop on the train and go to the office , they are generally quite helpful. If she has a copy of the old passport and an NI number most employers would be fairly understanding.

Not much chance of geting sorted in a week but I would doubt anyone would refuse to employ her if you have the copy of the old one and a current application for a replacement.

bit of a pain, but go to knightsbridge and get the wheels in motion. I have a vague recollection of their being a solicitors office near by that can do the form signing for a small fee, of if you know any "professional" that should work.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Have had a few friends in similar situations, the passport office is your best bet but they'll usually insist on a birth cert (not sure what form) to issue you a new one. Getting a trusted person usually isnt too hard, accountants / cops / priests etc. or sometimes you can even pay a solicitor to do it (if you have enough supporting documentation).

Getting the passport office to answer the phone is a nightmare, hop on the train and go to the office , they are generally quite helpful. If she has a copy of the old passport and an NI number most employers would be fairly understanding.

Not much chance of geting sorted in a week but I would doubt anyone would refuse to employ her if you have the copy of the old one and a current application for a replacement.

bit of a pain, but go to knightsbridge and get the wheels in motion. I have a vague recollection of their being a solicitors office near by that can do the form signing for a small fee, of if you know any "professional" that should work.

good luck

Hi growler,

She doesn't have a copy of the passport, just the number. She's going to head up tomorrow to get the form and talk to someone about the birth cert, then hopefully be able to go up again on Wednesday with a completed application. We know some accountants so we should be able to get that sorted.

Wish us luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

You report the lost passport to the Embassy/Passport office and fill in section 6 of the application form. She will need the long form of her birth cert, someone back home can get that and post it on(make sure it goes registered post, a copy of mine went missing in post once). And afaik there is no way getting around having to get the application form witnessed, but the list of people that can do it also include priests, bank managers, accountants and lawyers - a friend of a friend maybe or find a catholic church in Brighton and ask the priest. They do fast track applications for various reasons, you will need to speak to someone in the office - might be best to go there.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=261

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Is it an Irish or UK passport?

If Irish, go to Passport Office in South Kensington (opposite Harrods), Staff there will help you out. You wont wait too long in line.

If UK passport, go to Passport Office behind Victoria Station.

Bag stolen last yr and both mine and b/f passports in it. Found staff at both offices very friendly and helpful.

G'luck

As bag was stolen had no id. Passport office in Knightsbridge got us to fax a copy of long Form birth cert and got us temp passport within hours. So yes, they done everything they could to help

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Passport Office are pretty good at turning things around - the last time I had to get my passport renewed it was less than 2 weeks between me dropping off the forms and old passport with them and me receiving the new passport.

There is a process for getting a passport on an emergency basis which is supposed to take about 2-3 days, but I couldn't say whether your girlfriend's situation will qualify. She'll be needing a new passport anyway though, so may as well head in to talk to them and see what you can do from there.

Best of luck with getting things sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

My procedure is always to have a scanned copy stored in an e-mail address. However, failing that.

(a) File a police report about the lost passport.
    (b) Get a set of passport photos.
    (c) Contact a Lawyer/Solicitor to sign the back of these verifying your identity.
    (d) I used the long form Irish birth cert. Short form should be okay.

This was in 2005. I had a new passport within two weeks.

Good luck, and take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I recently had to get my passport renewed and the turn around was quite quick - 2 or 3 weeks.

I haven't registered with a doctor either and got a solicitor to witness the form for me. They charged a tenner. Make sure you make it clear its for an irish passport as they won't sign it if it's for a UK one as the person has to know you.

Oh and you can only pay the reissue fee by postal order or credit card (not debit card or cash) so it's prob best to get that sorted before you go in with the forms if your girlfriend doesn't have a credit card. The post office around the corner knew who the order was to be made out to as soon as said I needed one so they obviously get a lot of business from it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

To the ppl who say they lost/stolen their passport, Did you get a full ten year passport again? (assuming your original one was a ten year one~)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

To the ppl who say they lost/stolen their passport, Did you get a full ten year passport again? (assuming your original one was a ten year one~)

Got an emergency "one use only" for the trip back home. Had to apply for a ten year passport after that

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

Just to let you know if you are applying for a renewal of an Irish passport through the Embassy here in London do it in plenty of time. I sent in an application over 4 weeks ago along with proof of travel for this weekend and still no sign of my passport. I was told if I had proof of travel they could move it up the queue but it is still showing as 'registered' in the online tracking system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sinall wrote: »
    Just to let you know if you are applying for a renewal of an Irish passport through the Embassy here in London do it in plenty of time. I sent in an application over 4 weeks ago along with proof of travel for this weekend and still no sign of my passport. I was told if I had proof of travel they could move it up the queue but it is still showing as 'registered' in the online tracking system.

Eesh, that's pretty bad :( Hope it comes through in time for you.

Fysh wrote: »
    Eesh, that's pretty bad :( Hope it comes through in time for you.

Thanks, me too! I think the Embassy staff hate me now....:(

Just to update you on this...I brought my proof of travel to the passport office this morning and they said I should be able to collect my passport on Thursday! they'd had my proof of travel since 28 March and I'd rung many time since but it seems that going in there in person might have (hopefully) made the difference...fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

HI Sinall...gosh it took a while...mine expires on june 27th and I am freaking out that i may not have one to travel home or for hols in July.I have nothing booked yet but imagine I will need my passport number etc to book stuff?? Do you suggest going in in person and literally begging for them to speed it up?

HI Sinall...gosh it took a while...mine expires on june 27th and I am freaking out that i may not have one to travel home or for hols in July.I have nothing booked yet but imagine I will need my passport number etc to book stuff?? Do you suggest going in in person and literally begging for them to speed it up?

As far as I know going in to see them in person couldn't hurt, plus if you're dropping off the form + new passport you'll save on the time it would take to get there in the post and then be sorted and processed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

"While it is not guaranteed, if someone is travelling in less than 10 working days, applications submitted at a public counter with proof of travel may be accommodated. Applicants should make contact with the Passport Service & provide this proof where applicable."

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=2859

Best to go there in person.

Rubik. wrote: »
    "While it is not guaranteed, if someone is travelling in less than 10 working days, applications submitted at a public counter with proof of travel may be accommodated. Applicants should make contact with the Passport Service & provide this proof where applicable."

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=2859

Best to go there in person.

Yeah I will be on Wednesday. I don't actually have any travel documents as I have to book a last min holiday so won't have the documents etc till I imagine a week before I travel.
    I'll let ye know how I get on anyways for future references!

You can add your passport number onto your booking later I think, as long as you do it before you travel. Definitely go in and beg them to speed it up - I was amazed by how quickly they turned it around when I did that! I'd rung several times and emailed in my proof of travel (as requested) but once I went there in person they turned it around within 2 days. Do you have a drivers licence? I travelled home on mine after my passport expired. Oh and if you're going down to the passport office go early - there's a ticketing system, so go really early and get one of the first tickets - it gets crazy once they actually open the office, with lots of people shouting etc!

They were really nice once I went down in person but, like everywhere, it depends on who you get. Apparently if you don't get anywhere it's a good idea to ask to speak to the manager there. I was lucky enough to get her and she allowed me to come in early on the Thursday morning to collect my passport, usually they are only given out in the afternoons, but I couldn't get out of work.

Thanks Sinall..I tried ringing today, but it is ridiculous, telling me at 9:29 that there are a lot of other people in the ‘queue’ and they can’t add me to that queue so ‘try again later’...grr..

When you say ‘early’..how early do you suggest…can you queue up outside? I do feel they won’t take me as seriously considering I do not actually have any travel tickets etc but I genuinely am paranoid something will happen back home and I can’t get home.. I do have an Irish driving licence alright but it’s the passport I need!! My own fault, I know, but I have everything I need to go in on Wednesday…form, photos, bank draft, photocopy of current passport and I’ll bring the passport with me..anything else you suggest I bring I case they pull me up on something and I haven’t got it??

You can go in and get a ticket at any stage from very early morning. I think the counters open at 9 am (can't remember exactly) so I went down an hour before hand, got my ticket from the machine and sat and read for a while. Then I was the first person seen. When I went down to collect it I arrived 45 mins in advance and was 3rd person seen. The first ticket is 00 not 01 which was a bit confusing! I spent ages ringing them too and even when I got through to someone I found them really unhelpful - was just told to wait and see which was really frustrating. They look more kindly on you if you haven't booked your own flight whilst having no passport - mine genuinely was booked as a surprise for me so you can always say the same and plead with them a bit!

Smile a lot when you go down as well - it'll make a big difference to all the people who roar at them!

• Advertisement

Well I finally got through on the phone and the fella, god love him he was barely audible.. didn't really have much to ask tho because it was answered here. Told me 6 weeks :eek: and that there is not difference in time between a renewal and an application which I think its a bit unfair. Nonetheless I'll be arming myself with sandwiches and a book on Wednesday!

My PM was a bit bold Sinall, I feel bad already!

They said 6 weeks to me as well. I'd actually sent it in 5 weeks before I needed it and just spent 4 weeks worrying about it. Couldn't believe the difference in attitude when I went down in person on the Tuesday morning - there was no drama at all, they were just like "Yeah sure, we can do that. Come back on Thursday." The passports get printed in Dublin and then come over in a mailbag on an Aer Lingus flight so they arrive in the passport office the next day.

Update..went in for 8.30..was number 00 (first!)
    in the queue and had the company of a guy named John and a lady named Maude until 9.30...comical characters which turned rather racist as the visa application people started coming in, so I was glad I was 00!

Decided to go the honest (ish) route
    Said to the guy: I need my passport renewed asap, as I need to travel on the 17th July (which is a little white lie, I need to travel on the 23rd), was there any fast way of getting it done.

He said, if you don't have your flight booked, do so, and you'l have it in time.
    So I booked a ryanair one, and went back in and only waited five minutes before my number came up again..guy processed it and said it'll be in the post before you travel, sometime in early July!!!

Thanks everyone..hint if you do need a renewal..don't stress and go in in person.

Also, if anyone has trouble getting their form witnessed, the guy in Barlcays bank across the road will sign, obv only if you have an account there, but handy if you do.

Another update for future reference..passport arrived on my doorstep this morning!! Exactly a week form having gone into the office, which is WAY earlier than I expected..within 7 days, I applied, they sent it to Ireland, came back to the UK office and posted and delivered. Amazing...

still look gomey in the passport photo, but hey we can't have it everyway!!
    Thanks everyone for your tips :(

Wow, that is amazing!!! You must be delighted. Maybe I applied at a really busy time of year and should have just brought the application in rather than posting it!

Advertisement