Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetsuit for swimming?

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I wasnt sure whether to put this in swimming or surfing.

I need a new wetsuit and I would be using it more for swimming in the sea. Would I be better off to get a triathlon suit or just a normal suit?

Also would I be better off to buy online or in the shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Jaygee wrote: »
    I wasnt sure whether to put this in swimming or surfing.

I need a new wetsuit and I would be using it more for swimming in the sea. Would I be better off to get a triathlon suit or just a normal suit?

Also would I be better off to buy online or in the shop?

I would say you would get better advice in the traithlon forum but

imo

you should get a tri suit and you should buy online if you are confident on your size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

def a triathlon swimming wetsuit for swimming, more flex, better placed buoyancy, easier to take off quickly and smoother outer surface for less drag. I've bought online and in a shop, if you're buying something basic online is good but if it's a higher end bracket you're in i'd prefer buy in a shop, you're paying for extra stretch better fit etc with a top end suit which you can only check for yourself and your own shape by actually trying it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭runman

Buy a tri suit and buy from a shop. Its all about fit, impossile to get the feel for a suit without trying it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hope you don't mind OP, but I'm moving this from the Surfing to Swimming forum. I reckon you'll get good advice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

I hope to do a charity swim on Christmas, but can't stand the cold, would a triathlon wetsuitk keep you a little warmer ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

cassid wrote: »
    I hope to do a charity swim on Christmas, but can't stand the cold, would a triathlon wetsuitk keep you a little warmer ?

A lot warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Has to be a shop for me, always for buying suits, go to a good tri shop and they will sort you out, most of the good shops will be comparable on price with online. Also better to keep business local.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wipeout.wendy

TRI wetsuits tear really easily and they are design for buoyancy/performance not for warmth.

I would consider them more a summer racing wetsuit. If you are not going to be just swiming:you want to be able to use the wetsuit the odd time for other sports plus swimming in the winter then get a surf suit. The new designs in these offer great flex around the shoulders and are super warm (5/4mm). I have both, bought an entry level Orca to swim in the summer and tried it out last week nearly froze but my surf wetsuit is super warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

I have both, bought an entry level Orca to swim in the summer and tried it out last week nearly froze

I went in for the first swim of the year in an Orca Equip yesterday - it was some shock to the system. My core was quite warm, however, it felt like my hands and feet were on fire, and I couldn't stay in for more than 3 minutes. I had swum without a wetsuit last year until November, so I wasn't expecting it to be as cold as it was.
    If it's warmth you're after, I'd say a surf suit would be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

I went in for the first swim of the year in an Orca Equip yesterday - it was some shock to the system. My core was quite warm, however, it felt like my hands and feet were on fire, and I couldn't stay in for more than 3 minutes. I had swum without a wetsuit last year until November, so I wasn't expecting it to be as cold as it was.
    If it's warmth you're after, I'd say a surf suit would be the way to go.

I also did my first ow swim yesterday in an orca predator wetsuit (pretty old) and had no issue. Hands and feet a bit cold initially but after a few minutes it was lovely. Think I was in the water for about 30mins, could gave stayed longer but was doing a swim session in the pool after and needed to save some energy.
    If your plan is swimming, stay away from surfing wetsuits. They are not designed for swimming, they will restrict movement. Tri wet suits are the only job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Any reconmmended shops for these suits??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I havent been here yet but many people are raving about http://www.base2race.ie/

Not sure if they do many of the basic type suits but you could get to try them out in their endless pool to decide which feels better. Prob going to go out there myself for my next suit as soon as i can afford it!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭julio_iglayzis

jester1980 wrote: »
    Any reconmmended shops for these suits??

I got mine in Amphibian King, they were very helpful and I'd have no problems recommending them.

*I'm not affiliated with the shop.

lidl have wetsuits for sale at the moment, I think for around €40.00, no idea of the quality etc, will check it out tomorrow and post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Cassid,

You really need to try the suit on - so factor in time for a return visit before the sizes are all sold out.

On multiple occasions I've seen the quality and fit of budget wetsuits - and the exhausted and/or hypothermic looks on the owner's faces after they've swam a few hundred metres.

For the record what's the distance you need to go for your charity Christmas swim?

What's the frequency you'll actually use the suit afterwards

If you're only going to use it once for a wee splash on Christmas day you should get a cheap wetsuit. But make sure it fits nice and snug. If it's loose you may as well not wear one as the cold water will keep sloshing in.

If you want something to keep for occasional use all year round for surfing and mucking around in the sea get a decent 5+3 mil entry-level known brand watersports wetsuit. Though if you expect to swim any real distance it'll be an exercise in frustration.

sound advise killgore, the suits were actually €29, and there was one left when I got there and it was xxxl for men so I left it.

Going to wait and get a proper one.

Apparently its just a christmas dip at the 40 foot, the actual swim has been deferred. PHEW
    rock of sense, thanks for advise

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

those Lidl wet suits are super tight!!

i'm only 5'8" medium build and i needed a XL.

>are you suppose to wear speedo tight togs underneath??

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

I saw those lidl suits - they look unfit for the purpose of swimming or surfing. 5mm all over and a front zip. looks more like a diving suit to me (though I'm no diver). There is no collar/neck on them they'd be letting in cold water every stroke. 5mm all over thickness in a cheap suit means the flexibility would be severely compromised.

IIRC Aldi had (slightly)better ones previously.

A proper 3 mil summer suit will keep you warm for a quick winter dip and you can get a decent make for ~£65 for a shorty and £70 for a full length. Worth it if you also use it a few times during the summer.

(http://www.troggs.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=37)

I got a cheap O'neil shorty form surfdock in Dublin a couple of years back for about €70. though there doesn't seem to be anything that keen on their site at the moment.

Portwest have cheapish ownbrand suits suits - the last time I looked they appeared a bit mediocre. They also have a ripcurl shortie for €79.

Also keep an eye out for summer suits on sale at the end of the summer. You might also get some bargains on winter suits now we're getting into summer - http://www.kingofwatersports.com/winter-wetsuits-c123.html)

Ordering online is a bit dodge unless you're sure of the fit, if you have to return it you gotta pay for the postage yourself, so any saving advantage is lost. Also note king of watersports adjust the sizes for ladies. so you order what you think is a US 12 and they' send you a US 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Hi

I thought I would post here rather than clutter the internet with another thread .

I too am in the market for a wetsuit for use in Ireland . One that will allow me stay in the water longer and allow me to stretch my dipping season out a few weeks a bit in both directions.

I am not interested in swimming in triathlons , surfing or anything like that I'd just like the option of being able to go for a swim on days when the water isn't at its warmest and to be able to stay in longer , in some comfort to enjoy a bit of shallow water snorkelling .

I was looking at 2 mill shorties but I have a feeling they could be too cold for someone who wont be moving around a lot in the water , am I right ?

also have my eye on a rip Curl Omega 4/3 mm for €120

any advice much appreciated,

Barry

Advertisement