Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about blank verse

Options
  • 28-03-2011 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I came across this on another site earlier, on the subject of blank verse.

The example used confused me, as to me it clearly uses rhyme as well as a definite meter. Am I missing something or is this just a poor example?

In the following poem, Emily Dickenson (1830-1886) demonstrates blank verse, as she does not use rhyme, but she uses iambic meter. She engages the lyrical qualities of her poem by using carefully placed commas for a pause. This is like the conductor indicating where to hold a note for an extra beat with his baton. If you read the poem aloud, you will be able to hear the rhythmic, musical quality to the poem- its meter.

THEY say that “time assuages”,—
    Time never did assuage;
    An actual suffering strengthens,
    As sinews do, with age.
    Time is a test of trouble,
    But not a remedy.
    If such it prove, it prove too
    There was no malady.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4018.asp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

RGDATA! wrote: »
    I came across this on another site earlier, on the subject of blank verse.

The example used confused me, as to me it clearly uses rhyme as well as a definite meter. Am I missing something or is this just a poor example?

In the following poem, Emily Dickenson (1830-1886) demonstrates blank verse, as she does not use rhyme, but she uses iambic meter. She engages the lyrical qualities of her poem by using carefully placed commas for a pause. This is like the conductor indicating where to hold a note for an extra beat with his baton. If you read the poem aloud, you will be able to hear the rhythmic, musical quality to the poem- its meter.

THEY say that “time assuages”,—
    Time never did assuage;
    An actual suffering strengthens,
    As sinews do, with age.
    Time is a test of trouble,
    But not a remedy.
    If such it prove, it prove too
    There was no malady.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art4018.asp

Afaik, from leaving cert English, there are a number of different iambic meters, of which Iambic Pentameter is the most common. Again, my limited knowledge of iambic Pentameter (and i know nothing about the other Iambic Meters), is that it should both follow a certain meter, and also rhyme. sound simple, eh?

Not sure if that clears anything up, but i'm not a poet whatsoever.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Weird, it definitely uses rhyme. They misspelled her name as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

Blank verse is verse so meter is a factor
    the author can choose to rhyme or not
    whatever sounds best

I think
    iambic pentameter was invented to avoid the sing song 4 count or three count rhythms
    though some middle eastern rhythms are 5 count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

An iambic meter just means the metrical foot (the base unit of the meter) is iambs. An iamb is two syllables - one short (unaccented) followed by a long/accented syllable. Pentameter just means there are five of those feet in a line.

Iambic meters are common in English because English lends itself well to iambs (lots of words or short phrases that follow the da-DA da-DA da-DA etc. pattern). Blank verse is typically defined as unrhymed iambic pentameter. So no, the poem given is not a good example of blank verse.

Advertisement