Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing on labour!

Options
  • 28-03-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im just 5 days overdue on my first baby but want to do everything and anything I can to prevent having to be induced next week as its scares me :eek:. Im out walking everyday, eating pineapple, bouncing on a gym ball, spicy foods etc...Anyone any good ideas what else I could do?

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Hi OP - I can completely understand as I was desperate to avoid induction anyway possible with my two. My first was 7 days over and the second was 2 weeks (or 3 days, depending on what date they believed) over.

With my first the consultant did a sweep...truthfully I'm not sure if she asked me or if she just did it (one of those, "here, I'll just help things along" kindof conversations). I was a good bit uncomfortable after it was done, but I did have my babe the next day.

With my second, I knew they'd be pulling me in for an induction (despite my constant objections for any sort of intervention). I had one day left before my weekly checkup (when they'd most likely send me in). And I was also very concerned that my due date by last-missed-period calculation was 10 days before my due date determined during my 20-week scan. So I was thinking that if they pulled me in for induction b/c I was two weeks over by one date, I'd only be 3 days over by another date...didn't seem fair to be forcing labour if the due date wasn't even confirmed. I did eventually avoid induction and had my daughter the next day...used an old school method that would likely be frowned upon these days...pm me if you want more details.

Anyway, long story stort, talk to your doc and explain your reasoning for not wanting induction. Make it clear that you understand the risks, but if there are no indications that the baby's in distress (or maybe even, as it was for me, if the dates aren't even definitive) then maybe your doc will be willing to let nature do its thing. Most docs won't do that anymore (too much litigation risk), but it's worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

mrsberries wrote: »
    Hi all

Im just 5 days overdue on my first baby but want to do everything and anything I can to prevent having to be induced next week as its scares me :eek:. Im out walking everyday, eating pineapple, bouncing on a gym ball, spicy foods etc...Anyone any good ideas what else I could do?

thanks in advance :D

Hot baths :D

Well its what i did on my first daughter. Was being induced on the Monday mornin but i went myself the thursday nite (after a fabulous internal from my consultant on the tuesday i might add). Was flat out in and out of the bath,ha!
    Actually i think i should take my own advice as i was due yesterday and dont fancy being induced myself.

Hope it all goes well for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tagine

i really do believe when its ready baby will come

i have tryed the rasyberry tea, bouncing ball, hot curries, walks even sex but nothing works i went 10 days off on my first and 12 days on my second, now on the second i had a sweep, was induction and nothing worked only when they broke my waters i then had my daughter within 2 hours

so all i can say is just relax what is meant to be wil be just thinkin in a few days u wil be holdin ur baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

mrsberries, you have my sympathy. I'm now 4 days overdue (also first). Next time I think I will be a bit less honest when providing the date of my last period and add a week or so to give myself some comfort space.

I've been drinking the raspberry leaf tea, going for walks etc, but deep down I know that this baby isn't going to make an appearance until it is ready to, no matter what I try.

My midwife, sister (two 42 week plus pregnancies for her) and mother all advised that I just try not to worry about it and take advantage of the chance to rest, enjoy my husband's company and make the most of what little "me" time there is left to me before this little one changes everything.

Next appointment with midwife is on Friday, and if there hasn't been movement before then we may try a sweep, but I don't like that idea much.

Fingers crossed that something happens for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Ayla wrote: »
    Hi OP - I can completely understand as I was desperate to avoid induction anyway possible with my two. My first was 7 days over and the second was 2 weeks (or 3 days, depending on what date they believed) over.

With my first the consultant did a sweep...truthfully I'm not sure if she asked me or if she just did it (one of those, "here, I'll just help things along" kindof conversations). I was a good bit uncomfortable after it was done, but I did have my babe the next day.

With my second, I knew they'd be pulling me in for an induction (despite my constant objections for any sort of intervention). I had one day left before my weekly checkup (when they'd most likely send me in). And I was also very concerned that my due date by last-missed-period calculation was 10 days before my due date determined during my 20-week scan. So I was thinking that if they pulled me in for induction b/c I was two weeks over by one date, I'd only be 3 days over by another date...didn't seem fair to be forcing labour if the due date wasn't even confirmed. I did eventually avoid induction and had my daughter the next day...used an old school method that would likely be frowned upon these days...pm me if you want more details.

Anyway, long story stort, talk to your doc and explain your reasoning for not wanting induction. Make it clear that you understand the risks, but if there are no indications that the baby's in distress (or maybe even, as it was for me, if the dates aren't even definitive) then maybe your doc will be willing to let nature do its thing. Most docs won't do that anymore (too much litigation risk), but it's worth a shot.

Please don't suggest castor oil... I tried it on my first child and all it done was broke my waters and I ended up having to be induced 24 hours later anyway, ended up in an emergency c section.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    Please don't suggest castor oil... I tried it on my first child and all it done was broke my waters and I ended up having to be induced 24 hours later anyway, ended up in an emergency c section.

I was reading a birth story yesterday of a woman who took castor oil and then went into labour naturally just a few minutes later, but not because of the castor oil... she said it was the worst experience she'd ever had. I was laughing so much it hurt... certainly didn't make castor oil seem a remotely sensible option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's not a sensible option at all! It gives you horrific diahorea which is what broke my waters but didn't bring on labour. It's like a modern day enema!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Castor oil is not an option! Might try some accupuncture as it gets good press for bringing on labour.

Best of luck Mom2be and Squiggler! hopefully we'll all be holding our babies in a week or so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

i'm still not sure if the castor oil worked for me or was i going to have contractions anyways. It did mean that 12 hours before i had first contraction i had horrific diahorea. Also it is disgusting like seriously uhh, i tried mixing it with orange but uh even thoughts make me sick.

Hopefully you'll go yourself, remember not to walk to much though as you want to keep your energy for labour itself. The bouncing ball help me, sweep just made me bleed for few hours and few contractions.

Also if anybody is getting a sweep make sure to put a pad on, i wasn't told and had heavy bleed afterwards luckily there was queue to hand back chart so was still in hospital when it happened and not in car on way home

Hi all. I'm playing the waiting game now too - was due last Sat.

At our ante-natal classes we were advised that having sex twice in 12 hours is a very good way to bring on labour. My husband is v keen to try this method of speeding things up :rolleyes: but we haven't yet so I can't say how effective it is.

My mum went 12 days over on her first (me) and the day I finally arrived she'd had to walk for miles because her car had broken down. So walking does seem to work but I agree that you don't want to be wrecked from walking around all day and then go into labour at bedtime.

My next appointment is Thursday and they've said they'll want to do a sweep. Not too keen myself, although I would love to be a mammy by Mothers' Day!

Best of luck girls!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Most of the things people advise you to take (pineapple included) give you diarrhea and bowel spasms which might get your womb going too. However if you've ever had diarrhea you'll know how whacked you after after it, it can take days to be back to full strength, it's not the best position to be in when you need your energy to deliver your baby into the world.

I had a sweep when I was overdue and I would not recommend it, baby's head had not dropped so I went into labour too early, I was 3 days with painful contractions before I was brought to the labour suite, then I was started on the syntocin drip to move things along, I got as far as pushing but by that time James was so tired from the labour he was in distress and I ended up with an emergency section.

I'd advise things that help the head drop, for example the ball and walking up and down stairs, squatting if you're able. But remember to rest as much as possible so that your body has the energy to last through the labour.

Hope your little person arrives soon.
    xx

Thanks guys

Holles St havent mentioned anything about doing a sweep. My obs is pretty laid back about it all and said we'll talk induction when it gets to the week 42 appointment. Ive booked myself in for an accupuncture appointment on Wednesday, fingers crossed it will do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Nipple stimulation :D and the more relaxed you are the better. If youre stressed over something babes knows and wont want to come out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PuddingPie

Hi MrsBerries as someone who went 14 days over and I was desperate to avoid induction I completely understand what you're going through. I tried everything, sex, pineapple, lots of walking, bouncing on a gym ball but sometimes baby just isn't ready. You're still only 5 days over so a lot can change in a few days - Regarding Holles St policies, I was a Holles St Mum too and they don't do sweeps. Their policy is if you're still not gone by 12days over they will do a postdates scan to check fluid etc around the baby and if everything is ok then they will normally induce you at 14days over but hopefully this won't be the case for you. By the way the stats are with you 90% of all babies will be born by 7 days over so try and focus on this. Best of luck x

Oh, and mrsberries, if you do go 14 days and don't want an induction don't underestimate the power of the word "NO". Induction when the baby just isn't ready to arrive is only going to make things harder for you and the baby.

Still hanging in here too...

Thanks folks, had some accupuncture done today which might just help. Also had appt with holles st and they have me booked in for a scan on Monday, and if I havent gone into labour by next Wednesday they will induce me then. However as you said anything can happen over the next 7 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

Hi,
    I went 10 days over on my little one tried everything possible to bring on the labour even accupuncture nothing worked!I was brought into hospital the night before i was getting induced and before i went to bed my waters broke themselves!!Next morning still no contractions so end up being induced anyways and just wanted to let you know that it wasn't to bad at all i had a 9 hour labour with an epidural and 9 mins pushing and no interventions and this was my first baby too! I know there are some horror stories out there bout things going wrong but it doesnt happen all the time! Hopefully you will go into labour yourself but incase you dont i just wanted to let ya know that there are some good stories too :)

Thanks xxkazxx, good to hear positive stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 xxkazxx

mrsberries wrote: »
    Thanks xxkazxx, good to hear positive stories!

People only tend to tell you the horror stories everyone had me terrified before i went in it was only afterwards that i heard of the good experiences people had being induced! on the plus side if you do have to be induced there will be none of that rushing around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cruisegirl

i've also tried everyting, being walking up and down stairs, drinking raspbery tea, eating pineapple, gym ball and sex.

im 4 days over due with my first and being brought in monday 26th to be induced.. :eek: so not looking forward to it..

any got any more suggestions???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

cruisegirl wrote: »
    i've also tried everyting, being walking up and down stairs, drinking raspbery tea, eating pineapple, gym ball and sex.

im 4 days over due with my first and being brought in monday 26th to be induced.. :eek: so not looking forward to it..

any got any more suggestions???

Nope! I tried everything and had a sweep and no baby till 11 days over by inducement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nothing works. I tried it all, except inducement... eventually went into labour at 14 days over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭uli84

wow, you got me terrified, ive got diabetes and I think induction is very common practice in case of diabetic mums:( is it really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I can't speak for everyone who's been induced but I didn't find it too bad. Although I was lucky I didn't need any gel, they were able to go ahead and break my waters and start the drip straight away. My daughter was born in less than 4 hours after that. I'm not gonna lie, it was intense but there's pain relief available so just go into it with an open mind and try not to worry :) I know it's a cliche but once you have your little baby in your arms you really do forget all the pain :)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

Is also have to say I didn't mind being induced. I had the sweep 8 days over and was induced 14 days over.
    Was induced at 6am with gel. Contractions started around midday. Daughter born 2am. Epidural was delish. No panic of waters breaking and getting to hospital all very relaxed. Would nearly prefer it than a surprise labour.

Scare stories are just that. For every bad one you hear there's a good one to trump it!!!

Advertisement