Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a claim - House or Car

Options
  • 28-03-2011 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi All,

My husband's car was broken into over the weekend. His wedding ring (EUR:600) and his wallet (EUR:1200), phone were in the car and they were taken.

We can claim the phone from o2 and I don't think the property are covered by the car insurance.

I think we can claim the stolen contents from our house insurance but I was wondering, does this increase your premiums? I'm not sure if house insurance works like car, you end up paying it all back in the long run!!!

I doubt we would get the full 1200 cash back anyway and then 600 for the ring. I'd say we'd be lucky to get 1100 back altogether - I'm just not sure if it's worth claiming. Our house is old and it's hard enough to get insurance but it's not like we can afford to forget about this money.

And please no comments on how stupid it is to leave that in your car!!! He knows...now

Thanks,
    Cocobeanz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You can claim from HOME insurance only if you have All Risks. You may have the jewellery covered either as a SPECIFIED item, that is your policy specifically mentions GENTS WEDDING RING and at a specified value, or you may have a collection of unspecified jewellery, with a small limit per item.

CASH needs to be SPECIFICALLY mentioned and usually has a limit.

Car insurance probably does NOT cover the ring and definitely does NOT cover the cash.

If you have teh cover under your house policy, you will have to prove that there was €1200 in the wallet.

You will have to bear the policy excess yourself and you may lose your NCB if you have one on the house policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Deffo the house.

Motor policies usually cover something small for personal effects, €300 approx.

Better claiming off the house anyway, smaller excess to pay, No Claims on a house is typically 3 yrs, a car is 5 yrs so you will be back to 'Normal' premiums sooner vs the Motor Policy.

And everything else Ravima said!

Advertisement