Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Transfer

Options
  • 28-03-2011 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Gentlemen / Ladies,

Quick question,

Can I join a GAA club having not played for my home club for two years due to injury and just being away. Is it just a case of registering with the new club or do I need to go through the formal process. Its too much hassle commuting for training and games (different county), and while I will only be at my new club, yet to find one, for a year, move around with work every few months, I just want to get out and kick a few people and throw in a few elbows here and there, its hard to get away with it these days - very few shoppers streets arent as busy!!

I know its late in the year to get back, did my ankle in before christmas, plus I only go on good to firm, the soft to yeilding and bottomless ground isnt for thoroughbreds like myself!!

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭itsalltrue

from my limited knowledge you do need to put in a transfer.

i was the same i transferred from my hometown to where i am living after not playing for 3 years. Your old club can't reject the transfer as its between counties.

However i belive you have to be registered with your by your new club before the end of March to play competitive football. But i could be wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

itsalltrue wrote: »
    from my limited knowledge you do need to put in a transfer.

i was the same i transferred from my hometown to where i am living after not playing for 3 years. Your old club can't reject the transfer as its between counties.

However i belive you have to be registered with your by your new club before the end of March to play competitive football. But i could be wrong on this.

limited knowledge? I think you got most of that right.

Yes you will have to be registered before the end of this month so you'd better getting working on it.

6.9 Inter-County Transfers
    A player who wishes to play for a Club in another County must apply for a transfer to the Provincial or Central Council, as appropriate. Such application shall not be granted unless the player is in permanent residence in the new County, or is declaring for his Home Club under Rule
    6.5. Residence in a County for the purpose of attending a Second Level School or a Higher Education College shall not qualify as a permanent residence for the purposes of this Rule. An Inter-County Transfer involves transfer for all codes and activities.

The Form below;
    http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/club_transfers_and_sanctions/Inter_County_Transfer_Form_100111153410.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cashelking

Cheers lads, thanks for your help.

Doesnt look like I'll get it sorted this year, under my own name!!

Rugby League may have to do to satisfy my appetite for the elbows and kickin!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

cashelking wrote: »
    Cheers lads, thanks for your help.

Doesnt look like I'll get it sorted this year, under my own name!!

Rugby League may have to do to satisfy my appetite for the elbows and kickin!

Hi cashelking,

It's not too late for a transfer, an intercounty club transfer can be completed at any time during the year using the same form I attached so don't give up on the GAA yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Hi there,

I'm looking to move to a new club in January for 2014.
    Have not played since 2012.

Do I still need to get a transfer request even though I have not been registered?
    New club is in different county too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

royster999 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm looking to move to a new club in January for 2014.
    Have not played since 2012.

Do I still need to get a transfer request even though I have not been registered?
    New club is in different county too..
    yup, but if its in a different county then its a formality normally.
    i.e. you put in the form signed by the new club and county secretary and the old county can only stop it if they have grounds to believe that you actually havent moved. If nothing is said, then your transfer is automatic after 10 days wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭celt262

Hi guys i am thinking of moving back to my old club from one i transferred to in a different County last year.

I wanted to play Inter-County football and my own county didn't want me but i only got to warm the bench and had to drive for hours to get to training. i did get a free apartment and to open a bank account in a different town which was exciting.

I also play a bit of Hurling but my home town club don't have a hurling club, its the hurling i will miss the most :mad:

Any advice?

Are you Seanie Johnston :)

yup, but if its in a different county then its a formality normally.
    i.e. you put in the form signed by the new club and county secretary and the old county can only stop it if they have grounds to believe that you actually havent moved. If nothing is said, then your transfer is automatic after 10 days wait.

Thanks for reply munchkin.
    So I dont have to get in touch with my old club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

royster999 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply munchkin.
    So I dont have to get in touch with my old club ?
    nope.

Have a look at the form and the notes with it.
    You get signatures from the new club (and they'll get a signature from the county secretary in your new county of residence) and it goes to croke park and the old club/ county will get notified - but they can only object if they believe you havent moved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement