Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overactive Thyroid and Pregnancy

Options
  • 28-03-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

Can anyone please advise who has gone through the same thing.

I was feeling very tired so went to Doc. She did blood work and it came back that I had an overactive Thyroid she did tests again in 3 weeks to confirm and a week later when I went to get results I found out I was also pregnant (the thyroid was still overactive)

So she sent me to a Endocrinologist and he has put me on 100mg of PTU a day. I am attending the High Risk Clinic in CUMH. I have my first scan next Monday I'll over 8 weeks then. This is my second pregnancy, I have a 14 month old. I am so afraid of all of this, apparently PTU can result in Liver Failure, I know I am on a low dose but still nervous. Have to see Endocrinologist in 8 weeks and scan of thyroid in July which seems ridiculous...

So if anyone has had an overactive Thyroid and been pregnant or even just been to the High Risk in CUMH so I know what to expect.

I am so gutted because I had a home birth with last child and was hoping the same but the Endocrinologist says at the moment he can't give me the all clear.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Hi, I have had an overactive thyroid for the last three years and I am now 27 weeks pregnant. I was down to only 50mg of PTU a day. PTU is safe during pregnancy so I would not worry too much about taking it. I have recently just been told to stop taking it altogether now as I was starting to go underactive but only slightly. I was only actually at Holles Street hosptal this morning and the doctor there told me its Underactive Thyroid that they tend to worry about more than Overactive. Try not to worry, your endocrinologist will be able to monitor your levels througout your pregnancy. But obviously this is only my experience, I am not a doctor so cant give you proper advice! Hope it helps, pm me if you want to ask anything about it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Winnie wrote: »
    I am not a doctor so cant give you proper advice!

Just to be clear here - no advice can be given which is of a medical nature. The OP is looking for experiences of people who've gone through this which is ok. If the thread veers towards medical advice that is not ok. OK? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Sorry, was only meant to give personal experience. apologies if it cames across as medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Youll be fine, loads of people are on it. I was on it for my two previous pregnancies and the after when breastfeeding and I was on it for this pregnancy up till i think 20 weeks and then they put you on neomrecazole. The new regulations about PTU only came in recently, I was on it for years with no side effects on my liver. DOnt worry, its better for your levels to be normal and to be on meds than your levels to go haywire. The endo know what they're doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am attending one of the high risk clinics in the national maternity hospital as I have an underactive thyroid, type 1 diabetes and a few other health issues - I have found that they look after you really well and keep a very close eye on the pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have had an under active Thyroid gland for 5 years but each test while I was pregnant was close to normal so I ddin't have to take my tablets.

Just adding this, as it may be the case that you wont have the same problem on another pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Laurel____

Thats great, thanks everyone.
    Ya Im feeling more relaxed about it now. Would love if my levels returned to normal on next Endo visit. Fingers crossed.

Cant wait for Monday now, to see my new little bug.

Advertisement