Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax issues

Options
  • 28-03-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

I'm living in London 6 weeks now. I've got a job, paid teaxes, yet my room mate insists I don't have to pay taxes on the first £6000 / £7000 I earn in my job, once I sort my p46 out. Is this true? And if so, how do I go about claiming it all back?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The longer you work without getting an NI number the more you're likely to pay in emergency tax; once you've got an NI number you can claim back any excess tax you've paid thus far.

There's some more information on what you need to do when you've just moved over to the UK here; also some further info on how to get a tax refund if you've been on an emergency tax rate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

I'm not on an emergency tax rate, as far as I know, as I have my NIN already.......I've earned about £1000 so far, of which £270 or so has been taken up by tax. Really, that sounds about right. How would I claim that back though?

And my prior Q, can foreign nationals (specifically Irish) really earn up to £7000 paying only the NI tax (about £8 a week?)

Thanks folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I'm pretty sure that your tax free allowance is calculated over the full year, so if you have a £7K allowance you don't pay tax on the first £580 quid you earn each month. If at the end of the tax year you haven't earned £7K you could claim a rebate on the tax you had paid in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Yeah, depending on your tfa it will be split evenly-ish across all your pay packets. Otherwise, you'd have a very cushy Jan - April and then be on the bread line for the rest of the year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    And my prior Q, can foreign nationals (specifically Irish) really earn up to £7000 paying only the NI tax (about £8 a week?)
    £8 per week for NI seems very low?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Flynn

hi,i havent got the exact figure as it was adjusted in the recent budget but everyone has a tax free allowance,it could well be 7k,as for the NI contributions? you must be talking about being self employed.... contributions are low for the SE.

Advertisement