Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook taking forever to shut down periodically.

Options
  • 27-03-2011 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭

I wonder if anybody could help. I have searched online but not found a solution to my problem or anything that sounds like what is happening.

In have my macbook about 18 months, I never had a problem with shutting it down. It usually only took a few seconds to shut off but in the last 2 or 3 weeks periodically it takes hours to shut down. I hate shutting it down by holding down the power button but I have been forced to do it a few times. One night I was shutting it down and decided to leave it shut down its self and when I woke the next morning it had. The next time I tried it I woke up the next day and the macbook hadn't shut down about 8 hours later. Once or twice since I have left it for hours and it hadn't shut down. Sometimes it will go off straight away but if when shutting down it goes to a blue background with the spinning faded cirlce in the middle (like a loading symbol) then I know it is going to take hours to shut down.

Has anybody else every had this problem or know what might be causing it. I have done nothing different with my macbook since I got it. The only thing different in the last few weeks is I got a Meteor dongle.

Any help would be appreciated thanks,

Jof.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭yer man!

Open Terminal in the utilities section in applications. type in pmset -g log a few things will then load telling you what processes are taking a long time to terminate when you're shutting down/sleeping the computer. Look for where it says response time at the end of some paragraphs i suppose you'd call them. find the one with the highest time and that is the problem in the computer. This problem is very common for computers that have a failed job in print queue or something to do with the airport card settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

cheers

Not sure what these mean but these are the last few that pop up. The dates only seem to go till 06/07/2010.

* Domain: applicationresponse.slowresponse
    - Message: PMConnection IPConfiguration com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse 119 ms
    - Time: 06/07/2010 23:22:54 GMT+01:00
    - Signature: IPConfiguration
    - UUID:
    - Result: Noop
    - Response time (ms): 119

* Domain: sleep
    - Time: 06/07/2010 23:22:55 GMT+01:00
    - Signature: Success
    - UUID:
    - Result: Success
    - Sleep count : 2

* Domain: wake
    - Signature: Success
    - UUID:
    - Result: Success

* Domain: hibernatestats
    - Signature: hibernatemode=3
    - UUID:
    - Time to write image (ms): 7909

Can I ask why are you shutting it down all the time? Macs are really designed to be shut down constantly like windows laptops. It'll tell you when it needs to be reset.

yer man! wrote: »
    Can I ask why are you shutting it down all the time? Macs are really designed to be shut down constantly like windows laptops. It'll tell you when it needs to be reset.

Probably just out of habit, I have always shut down laptops that I have had so just continued that when I got the macbook. Same thing happened last night and I made sure there was nothing running when the computer was being shut down. It was still not shut down this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

yer man! wrote: »
    Macs are really designed to be shut down constantly like windows laptops.

Macs are really designed not to be shut down constantly, unlike Windows laptops.

• Advertisement

Sorry meant to say aren't designed to be shut down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Liameter

Jofspring wrote: »
    The only thing different in the last few weeks is I got a Meteor dongle.

Whatever it is, quit and remove it before shutting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Since you had no problems before you got the meteor dongle id say that is causing an issue ..

I got a meteor dongle myself a few days ago but im running windows 7
    i've no problems with it tough on my laptop..
    is your modem the E173 model?
    This modem runs an auto update service in the backround which could be halting your mac from shutting down i have noticed these dongles can be problematic on OSX i tryed a few on my uncles mac before and some never worked right whereas on windows they seem fine..
    Could also be a driver or compatibility issue aswell try remove the meteor software(if you havn't tried this already) and see how it goes from there ..

jay93 wrote: »
    Since you had no problems before you got the meteor dongle id say that is causing an issue ..

I got a meteor dongle myself a few days ago but im running windows 7
    i've no problems with it tough on my laptop..
    is your modem the E173 model?
    This modem runs an auto update service in the backround which could be halting your mac from shutting down i have noticed these dongles can be problematic on OSX i tryed a few on my uncles mac before and some never worked right whereas on windows they seem fine..
    Could also be a driver or compatibility issue aswell try remove the meteor software(if you havn't tried this already) and see how it goes from there ..

Ya i get the feeling its the dongle. When I first start up the dongle it actually quits it and says there is an error but when I click re-open it opens up and works away no problem. This happens everytime I use the dongle. Its the only change I have had with the Mac so it has to be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Definitely suss out the dongle as that makes sense since it's a recent addition and a recent problem. Also, as mentioned and if that doesn't sort it, check the Print queue, thought my MacBook was on the way out once and all it was doing in the end was searching constantly for a printer

• Advertisement
Advertisement