Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Briars!

Options
  • 27-03-2011 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

Lads, I want to spray some briars and ivy on a feature near the house but the problem is the well we are drinking from is about 20 metres down hill from it:rolleyes: Ideas welcome:) Such as spring well friendly sprays:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

kay 9 wrote: »
    Lads, I want to spray some briars and ivy on a feature near the house but the problem is the well we are drinking from is about 20 metres down hill from it:rolleyes: Ideas welcome:) Such as spring well friendly sprays:D

Good gloves, a good sharp slash-hook & a secateurs for tidying up.

Mind your spring well.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have it all cleaned already but I'm sick of cutting them every year. The ivy is gone into the stonework now aswell. I don't want to have to re-build the whole thing in years to come. I heard vinegar will kill ivy, don;t know how true that is though. The briars if pulled can be got rid of for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

hello i sprayed briars around hedges last year with scrub-ban and got a great kill but i would not spray around a well.the brother got me a pair of thistle pullers and they are amighty job at pulling out briars with the roots and ivy.they have good long handles.if it was me i would just cut the ivy at the ground the hold way around the well.i cut the ivy the hold way around the trees at the bottom and have no problems the ivy dies and rots away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Cut the ivy at the ground and remove a small section of it, if it's not growing out of the feature. I'd pull the briars, wouldn't be keen on spraying that close to a drinking well myself.

You could always be real careful and paint on a bit of herbicide to any butts of briars of ivy root.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Goat.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Personally I wouldn't worry about carefully spraying roundup/generic glyposate that far from a well, in fact I do it every year myself, (though our well is underground with the pump in a pump house) don't forget that roundup is cleared (and used alot) for preharvest use on cereals, it generally breaks down very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

you need to wait at least mid May to get an effective kill on the briars, use grazon 90 or similar and just spray enough to avoid run off or drift, mix the chemical as per instruction ( no stronger no weaker) and you will get a good kill,

I would have no worries what so ever with the well at that distance, just be careful no to allow run off or drift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Was at it again today for a good part. Have all of the briars pulled with the assistance of wiring gloves. Unfortunately I have to re-build some stonework because of the rotten ivy:mad: I'm going to chance spraying and leave the well to flush for 2 weeks. Will I have to spray every year I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

kay 9 wrote: »
    Was at it again today for a good part. Have all of the briars pulled with the assistance of wiring gloves. Unfortunately I have to re-build some stonework because of the rotten ivy:mad: I'm going to chance spraying and leave the well to flush for 2 weeks. Will I have to spray every year I wonder.

Why not post a photo? This story doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you spray it, won't you still have to pull it off?

LC

Advertisement