Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caziest looking race cars ever

Options
  • 27-03-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭

Two cars come to mind

Eagle Aircraft Flyer
    Back when the Indy 500 was a show up with what you had and race events, Eagle Aircraft came with this monster. They tried to get it to qualify for the 1982 Indy 500. Underpowered, heavy and most likely an aerodyanmic brick, it didn't get near qualifying.

2dt0nia.jpg
    oursid.jpg

Ken Reece Supermodified
    Built in 1979 to race in Supermodifieds in the US. One of the rules stated that cars had to had 4 wheels. No one said you had to have 2 on each side. The middle wheely on the right and the wheel on the left provided power. The front and rear wheels on the right steered the car. After originally being told it was legal, it got banned before it could race.

6zmvd3.jpg
    nqs39x.jpg
    vmyono.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

3322931059_9ce82d26d2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Eagle Aircraft Flyer
    Back when the Indy 500 was a show up with what you had and race events, Eagle Aircraft came with this monster. They tried to get it to qualify for the 1982 Indy 500. Underpowered, heavy and most likely an aerodyanmic brick, it didn't get near qualifying.

2dt0nia.jpg
    oursid.jpg

Let's see how much next year's IndyCars look like that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

WR-creepy-coupe.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Let's see how much next year's IndyCars look like that! :D

Ah don't, the racing has been getting so much better in the last couple of years of the current chassis and they change it for that ugly looking thing. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That EnsignF1 car was genius though. Radiators in the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

That EnsignF1 car was genius though. Radiators in the nose.

And shame on everyone for not naming the driver!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Anytime I think of crazy looking race cars, the 6 wheel Tyrrell comes to mind.

ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

800px-Tyrrell_P34_2008_Silverstone_Classic.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

the marriage of virtual and real worlds
    - V6 turbo engine
    - they used F1 parts as basic, one of the best engineers Adrian Newey actually designed it
    - real drivers tested it Vettel and Weber etc..

..and it's C.R.A.Z.Y. isn't it! 8G cornering which is kinda max for human body :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zfSnCofyiM

http://www.redbull.com/cs/Satellite/en_INT/Article/Red-Bull-X2010-in-GT5-021242920304351

GT5_RedBull_X2010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Yeah,but its not a real car!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

freestyla wrote: »
    - real drivers tested it Vettel and Weber etc..

Completely irrelevant given they tested it in a video game just like the rest of us have 'tested' it.
    Its easy to say something will be good in theory, but in reality because of the G's generated, it would probably be un-drivable at high speed and also un-drivable at low speed because it needs to drive at high speed for the aero to work.

But hey it was a nice selling point for GT5 even if it is blown out of proportion.:D
    Yeah,but its not a real car!!
    They did make a full scale un-working model, if that doesn't prove something then I don't know what to believe anymore!!

Killinator wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant given they tested it in a video game just like the rest of us have 'tested' it.

I wouldn't say completly irrelevant.. Vettel is something else than you and me, he is pro and he used supadupa simulation on developing it, not just driving for fun GT5 on Playstation.

I agree its not real 100% but its much more than virtual.

To get this back into the real world again.

THe Williams 6 wheeler.

sixwheelwilliams.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Brabham BT46B Fan car

2001_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_Brabham_BT46B_Fan_car.jpg

think it got banned for sucking up stones and spitting them out the back mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

freestyla wrote: »
    I wouldn't say completly irrelevant.. Vettel is something else than you and me, he is pro and he used supadupa simulation on developing it, not just driving for fun GT5 on Playstation.

I agree its not real 100% but its much more than virtual.
    If he used a proper simulator that would be different, but there has been no indication that I've seen of him actually testing/playing with it in anything other than GT5, his quoted super lap times at Suzuka are all from GT5, I would also find it hard to believe they used another simulator when this was such a big feather in GT's cap.

Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Brabham BT46B Fan car

2001_Goodwood_Festival_of_Speed_Brabham_BT46B_Fan_car.jpg

Was Bernie in charge of that team at that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Here's a nice one, the Eifelland Type 21

72-preseason-rs-3.jpg

72-kyalami-rs-2.jpg

Loads more pics here of the same car in various stages of development (or maybe desperation): http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/eifelland/picture-gallery.html

Team Summary: http://www.f1rejects.com/teams/eifelland/profile.html

Brabham BT46B Fan car

That's the official reason it got banned. It might have been a bit too fast also.

It wasn't the first car of it's type either. The Chapparal j2 predated it.

2j2.JPG

In fact, Chapparal were also the first race car manufacturer to attempt a Ground effects car, more than ten years before the Lotus 78. They just couldn't make it work though.

That's the official reason it got banned. It might have been a bit too fast also.

It wasn't the first car of it's type either. The Chapparal j2 predated it.

2j2.JPG

In fact, Chapparal were also the first race car manufacturer to attempt a Ground effects car, more than ten years before the Lotus 78. They just couldn't make it work though.

i want tha as my washer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Another oval oddity. You're more likely to find a turbine engine in a helicopter! And mounted to the side for the banking..

The Studebaker STP Special raced in the 1967 Indy 500. Ran quite but retired with mechanical failure...

1967-STP-Special-Gas-Turbine-Indy-Racer-03-610x325.jpg

large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

^^^link forbidden?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

Brabham BT46B Fan car

I wrote an article on this car some years back. The description was to discuss any F1 car in the sport's history as a piece of art, and this is what I chose. It was actually never banned per se, but withdrawn by Bernie in an act of politicking. It's win at the Swedish Grand Prix stands - it just never raced again. Fan cars in general were banned however.

fatgav wrote: »
    I wrote an article on this car some years back. The description was to discuss any F1 car in the sport's history as a piece of art, and this is what I chose. It was actually never banned per se, but withdrawn by Bernie in an act of politicking. It's win at the Swedish Grand Prix stands - it just never raced again. Fan cars in general were banned however.

You sure they were actually banned.

The flat floor rules brough in, in 1983 effectively ruled it out but I'm not sure if it was fully banned for this.

The downforce given off by a full ground effects car might have been better anyways, considering there was no fall off when revs dropped. Niki Lauda said he hated driving the car as you'd have to accelerate through corners to gain grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Some of the pikes peak machines have been crazy looking but this one is the craziest for me, extremely successful too...

1996_Suzuk_Escudo_Pikes_Peak_26005.jpg
    suzuki%20escudo%20pikes%20peak.jpg

000004.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

vitaly-petrov-renault-r31-flying-malaysia-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Brabham BT46B Fan car

Also, the BT46B shape comes from the BT46 which didn't have radiators and instead had heat exchangers along the side. Didn't work and the oil and water radiators had to be added afterwards. So when the team said they needed the fan for cooling it wasn't that far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Some of the pikes peak machines have been crazy looking but this one is the craziest for me, extremely successful too...

:D
    I remember that from Gran Tousimo, get enough money for that and you could not loose. It was insane

Advertisement