Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert biome question

Options
  • 27-03-2011 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hi everyone,for my geoecology question im doing a desert biome,however we only have notes on just the biome and not how humans interact with them..
    If anyone has any ideas or points about it would be greatly appreciated...an example of the question is "Assess how biomes have been altered by human activity."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mozzypuffs

Is this the one about the Sahara desert spreading into the sahel?
    If so talk about Overgrazing, over cropping and cutting down trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

We do the sahara desert but never heard anything on the sahel?
    Thanks for the points also!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭apkbarry

One thing, just know that camels are not in every desert. So they cannot be used in a question about Flora and Fauna.
    Weird, it's always the first thing I think of ha

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

apkbarry wrote: »
    One thing, just know that camels are not in every desert. So they cannot be used in a question about Flora and Fauna.
    Weird, it's always the first thing I think of ha

What? I got an A1 last year and I never heard anything about this. The hot deserts are thousands of miles apart, you're not going to find the same species in every desert. Doesn't really make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I got 74/80 in my Desert Biome question and I mentioned the camel. It can be used in the question as when your answering the question, you dont have to stick to one desert in particular.

Infact the camel is an ideal animal to include. It truly adapts to the desert in numerous ways...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

Hi everyone,for my geoecology question im doing a desert biome,however we only have notes on just the biome and not how humans interact with them..
    If anyone has any ideas or points about it would be greatly appreciated...an example of the question is "Assess how biomes have been altered by human activity."

over cropping/ overgrazing and desertification I think :)

Oh and In reply to OP, I normally talk about the Mojave desert as well. I talk about deforestation, repopulating of the desert, and transportation in the desert.

Out of curiosity, what geography book do you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

I dont use a geography book anymore because im repeating so im just learning the notes i have and a very good geography revision book but the revision book doesnt do human activity on a desert biome

Well just incase your interested, I am using the "Todays world" book and its brilliant. Few minor mistakes, bit other than that, its perfect

Advertisement