Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Course

Options
  • 27-03-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know this doesn't really go here but not sure where else.

The situation is i'm in 1st year Dentistry in TCD at the moment but not happy in it really. I want to change course and do P.E. Teaching in UCC. But I want to know what the story would be with fee's and grant etc..??

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

AFAIK, you'd have to apply through the CAO, you'd be liable for first year fees, but not for subsequent years - I'm in the PE course, and looking my student admin, its €7000 for the year, plus you'd have to pay the reg fee for just this year as well, depending on the grant, which would put the cost at €9000 for the year. But after that, you'd have the reg fee covered by the grant.

Dentistry to PE is a bit of a jump, why pick PE, out of curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

AFAIK, you'd have to apply through the CAO, you'd be liable for first year fees, but not for subsequent years - I'm in the PE course, and looking my student admin, its €7000 for the year, plus you'd have to pay the reg fee for just this year as well, depending on the grant, which would put the cost at €9000 for the year. But after that, you'd have the reg fee covered by the grant.

Dentistry to PE is a bit of a jump, why pick PE, out of curiousity?

If that figure is 7415, then it should include registration. Somewhere on the ucc site you can download a spreadsheet of fees, and it breaks it down into tuition registration and capitiation.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

If that figure is 7415, then it should include registration. Somewhere on the ucc site you can download a spreadsheet of fees, and it breaks it down into tuition registration and capitiation.

No, I could see separate payments under tuition and registration - and I'm pretty sure it came up in conversation one day that my friend was paying around €9000 a year, as she was a mature student doing a second course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Ok maybe im wrong.. I dont know what category the course in question falls under, but this is fes schedule for this year, which shouldn't really change(except for registration) when it comes to next year.
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/financeoffice/fees/FeesSchedule20102011/
    The only reason i said it might be included, is that i'm in first year BIS this year, and im paying 7415(less exemptions for certain modules), and that includes registration.

I had a look at the spreadsheet - what I said above holds - the fee last year was 8650, which is €7000 tuition, €1500 registration and €150 capitation fee total. Next year the reg fee is going up to €2000, so it is €9000 you would be liable for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

The grant wont help you either im afraid, you cant get the grant for the same year of college twice, so if you've done first year denistry you wont be able to get any grant (or your reg fee paid) the first year of another course you change to, but they will pay it for all other years provided you're entitled to it financially.

Its a pricey decision to change but well worth it as you'll end up with a degree you enjoy and you're more likely to do well in a degree if you like it. My advice is make your decision as soon as possible and then get a job from now until september to save up for as much of the 9k cost as possible.

Advertisement