Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes...bloody expensive Westport

Options
  • 27-03-2011 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hello, pricing bike hire in Westport, bloody expensive E20 for one day. Travelling down with my girlfriend, plan to cycle out and climb the reek but we're trying to do it on the cheap. Plan to camp in Wesport house. Thought we'd try Boards and offer to give some kind hearted souls, in or around Westport, willing to lend us two bikes in reliable enough condition E10 per bike for Friday 8th April evening to Sunday 10th Afternoon. We'll treat them kindly :) Thanks a mill n we can do the same for you if ever you visit Galway
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

There are a number of firms hiring bikes in the Westport/Newport area, and you can always shop around.

Expecting someone to lend or hire a bike for a weekend for €10 is a tad optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sean Sammon hires bikes for €10/12 per day, Clew Bay Bike Hire hire bikes for the day at €15 or €20 for 24 hours.

Considering it's a day out and you'd spend the same amount on a round in a pub your complaint is a bit trivial imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Sean Sammon hires bikes for €10/12 per day, Clew Bay Bike Hire hire bikes for the day at €15 or €20 for 24 hours.

Considering it's a day out and you'd spend the same amount on a round in a pub your complaint is a bit trivial imo.

Wow! it's trivial is it when a person who is on one of the lowest incomes in the country as an independent student seeks to enjoy a rare day out on the cheap. I have been out only on a few occasions this year - partially due to the cost and partially due to the amount of study I have to do. In future please keep your elitist and generalising gob****ery to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No need for that kind of language

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Yes, it is somewhat expensive but if you think of the fact that some bikes never come back (and only a small deposit kept), some come back in miserable condition, each bike has to be serviced throughout the year, the owners have to be paid and then 15%-25% of the fleet of bicycles would have to be replaced every year.

Whilst I would appreciate that GetThatDownYa is looking at the price of hiring a bicycle from the perspective of the customers ability to pay. Unfortunately, it's more to do with the high costs suffered by those providing the service.

As said above, Sean Sammon (098-25471) James Street, Westport loans bikes in good condition for about €12 per day. He is a two-three minute direct walk from the bus stop and he'll give you directions of where you need to go as well.

• Advertisement

Wow! it's trivial is it when a person who is on one of the lowest incomes in the country as an independent student seeks to enjoy a rare day out on the cheap. I have been out only on a few occasions this year - partially due to the cost and partially due to the amount of study I have to do. In future please keep your elitist and generalising gob****ery to yourself.

If you want people to keep their 'elitist and generalizing gob****ery' to themselves then maybe you should try another forum. Perhaps you should also try to study basic manners while you're at it, they're free.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Between Newport & Westport, there are at least 4 providers of bikes for hire. Shop around and don't be lazy by just going to the first guy you find.
    In Newport, there is Sam Moore [PM for number].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 moreandmoran

im a student too and if your goun to argue over a tenner for a bike for the day why don ya jus walk it instead its still lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Was in Newport late last year and Clew Bay cost €12 a bike for a day but when you consider a family of four, it is an expensive day out. Was in Spain last September and the cost of a mountain bike for a day was €6. Came back from Algarve last week and the bike for three days was €15 total. So there is a bit of a rip off going on here in terms of bike hire.

• Advertisement

dec25532 wrote: »
    Was in Newport late last year and Clew Bay cost €12 a bike for a day but when you consider a family of four, it is an expensive day out. Was in Spain last September and the cost of a mountain bike for a day was €6. Came back from Algarve last week and the bike for three days was €15 total. So there is a bit of a rip off going on here in terms of bike hire.

The minimum wage in Spain is almost half what it is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

dec25532 wrote: »

Honestly some people seem to have no idea of the costs involved in running a business in Ireland at the moment. A bicycle costs 100 baht (€2.30) per day in Thailand. Maybe thats what they should be charging here? Hell, why not hand them out for free while they are at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm making this trip at the weekend and I got a bit of a shock when I looked at the prices. Needless to say I will be bringing my own bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

You could always rent one up the country for a €5 and cycle down and save the balance!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Please dont open old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement