Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Open Source CMS

• 27-03-2011 1:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭

I am planning on designing a website which will require a CMS, SSL, Realex processing payments, and a categorised user/customer database.

I was intending to hire a web designer but after getting a quote for almost 6k I reckon I can learn the process and build it myself for a fraction of the price. I am versed in VBA, which admittedly is no good for web development, but if I can learn one language I can learn another 2 or 3.

The CMS open source software that I am considering using to build the site are:

1. MODx
    2. Joomla

I believe these have built in HTML editors, and CMS databases.

Does anyone have any experience with either? I will be starting from scratch but dont ming having to read 2-3 books on teh subject and spend 5 months on the project.

Thanks

Mosiki

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I've used Joomla since the days when it was called Mambo. I have 1 book from Packt Publishing on the app... it not particularly good or bad but today there is probably enough info out there on the web for free.

The joomla app itself is written in php which is pretty straight forward, and the database used in MySql... again very common. The rest is all standard HTML & CSS

If you can find a good template then it should be fairly straight forward... but on that point of templates. There are lots of sites selling Joomla templates but often they are generic templates that are made to fit in with Joomla rather than written for Joomla... by fit in I mean they are just html components rather than being part of the core joomla components. You do get the look they say but you cannot then manage it via the CMS directly but rather via editing HTML. I didn't explain that very well, but just keep in mind if you plan on buying a template that some are specific for joomla and some are generic (the same template available for lots of different CMS).

On the topic of built in HTML editing. The idea with the CMS is that you (or yuor users) concentrate on entering CONTENT. So you write articles and do basic layout within the article... but the look is all coming from the installed template which is not something you build within the CMS itself. So if you plan on doing a lot of HTML editing it's not ideally suited. The CMS is about letting you enter content and managing that... i.e. the editorial process. IS it published or not and where ... etc.

I know nothing about MODx so can offer no opinion there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I have used Joomla before and would give it the thumbs up. I haven't used it for eCommerce but I understand that the VirtueMart shopping cart for Joomla is excellent.

www.virtuemart.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Wordpress in my opinion would slaughter any other open source CMS atm. If your stuck with anything drop me a pm, do a good bit of website development as a side job ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Signpost wrote: »
    Wordpress in my opinion would slaughter any other open source CMS atm. If your stuck with anything drop me a pm, do a good bit of website development as a side job ;)

Pretty much what he says Wordpress is the one CMS to rule them all!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Pretty much what he says Wordpress is the one CMS to rule them all!
    I always understood Wordpress as a Blogging app... perhaps it has evolved? Why would you say it is for example better than Drupal to pick a popular CMS not yet mentioned out of th air?
    I know next to nothing about Wordpress [just seen it used a lot on blogs] so am curious. Is it easily extended? Is it a xAMP all like Joomla & Drupal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

Joomla is good for small website design. However if you looking a website for blogging. i would suggest wordpress.. its easy to install & customise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

croo wrote: »
    I always understood Wordpress as a Blogging app... perhaps it has evolved? Why would you say it is for example better than Drupal to pick a popular CMS not yet mentioned out of th air?
    I know next to nothing about Wordpress [just seen it used a lot on blogs] so am curious. Is it easily extended? Is it a xAMP all like Joomla & Drupal?

I couldn't find this thread until now, Wordpress has evolved far far beyond just a blogging platform. It pretty much out strips Drupal and Joomla in every way currently for what most people want from a cms.

Combine that with a very very easy to use GUI and a massive user supported set of plugins / templated etc

Adrian

Advertisement