Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

'if' it starts again although the Colts Center Saturday, seems to think his few beers with the commish has sorted out the mess that couldnt be resolved by legal teams with weeks to do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭portumnadaz

LATROBE, Pa. – The Steelers clinched the AFC North Division championship in Baltimore because they were good at it. They won Super Bowl XLIII because they were good at it. And the only way a team gets good at it is to practice it.

“We specialized in two-minute football today,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “We had a little success on offense with the first group and some success on defense with the second group. There was ebb-and-flow, and that’s what this is about in terms of our team building. I liked the energy and enthusiasm and we’re just going to continue to press on toward (the preseason opener in Washington on) Friday night.”

As Tomlin explained, the major competitive period on Tuesday afternoon at Saint Vincent College was the two-minute drill, and the precise circumstances were these: 1:21 on the clock, ball at your own 40-yard line, one timeout.

Ben Roethlisberger worked with the first group, and it turned out to be a pretty efficient showing. On first down, Roethlisberger completed a 17-yard pass to Heath Miller, and then with the clock still running, Roethlisberger hustled the offense to the line of scrimmage and completed a 7-yard pass to Arnaz Battle.

On that play to Battle, Lawrence Timmons flashed up the middle on a blitz and had it been a live tackling drill he might have had a sack. But then on second-and-4 from the 36-yard line, Roethlisberger found Tyler Grishamdeep down the left sideline for the touchdown.

Then came the second group, and Dennis Dixon was the quarterback this time. Same circumstances – 1:21 to play with one timeout and the ball on the 40-yard line.

Dixon started with a 4-yard completion to undrafted rookie Armand Robinson from Miami (Ohio), and then with the clock running he converted with a 6-yard pass to Robinson.

On first-and-10 from the 50-yard line, Dixon completed an 18-yard pass to Robinson. On the next play, Dixon threw incomplete, and it was another of those situations where a blitzing linebacker might have had a sack. This time it was Stevenson Sylvester.

On second-and-10 from the 32-yard line with 18 seconds left, Dixon couldn’t find an open receiver and so he scrambled out of the pocket and ran for 13 yards before calling a timeout. There were 11 seconds left at that point, and on first-and-10 from the 19-yard line, second-year linebacker Jason Worildsended the drill with a sack.

“I’m not concerned about it based on where I would normally be this time of year,” said Tomlin about his team’s readiness on the eve of the preseason opener. “I’m concerned about it relative to the people we compete against. We’re all faced with the same obstacles, and that makes it fair and that’s what we need to do. If we focused on how we felt this time of year in past years, all of us would be extremely frustrated. That would be naïve.”

INJURY UPDATE: Said Tomlin, “On the injury front, we’ve got some guys working their way back, partially participating and fully participating; some of the guys we’ve talked about over the last couple days. Some new additions: Weslye Saunders has a tight groin and Jason Worilds has the same thing. Normal training camp things and these guys need to take care of themselves so they can show what they’re capable of. Mike Wallace had a tight groin. We wanted to exercise a little precaution there and stay ahead of the fatigue curve with him and we gave him a day. Ramon (Foster) might have partially participated today. He’s working his way back. He’ll be back to us here soon. He had a mild concussion, if there is such a thing.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaddyBouler

Looking forward to a good performance against the Redskins tonight !

Redskins game was fairly awful but Redman looks like he'll support Mendy nicely this year. Antonio Brown looks very good aswell. The CB's looked awful and will get slaughter against the Eagles on Thursday with the top 4 CB's out with injuries. I can see them giving up 400 yards passing cos the D isn't going to play a prevent D, they have to play a 3-4 and let the linebackers get some reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Steeler won't take four QB's into the season

They will probably keep Batch, seem to love him there
    Dixon did badly the other day but he's a young and exciting player
    Do you think Leftwich is going to get cut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 PaddyBouler

The Steelers are -3.5 with the bookies for Saturday night v the Falcons. Last time we played them in 2010, we rushed them silly but still only won by 6 so -3.5 in a pre-season game is a bit skinny, I think.
    I thought that Troy was close to his imperious best against a below par Eagles !!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jordans n Timbs

james harrison >>>>>>>>>>>>

Ravens suffer from Steelers complex
    By Dejan Kovacevic, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, September 9, 2011

OWINGS MILLS, Md. — Ray Lewis was pacing with playful impatience the other day as a media scrum surrounded Baltimore teammate Ray Rice. Lewis was scheduled to talk next, and he sure looked like he wanted to get on with it.

"Come on, last question," Lewis muttered, barely audible.

Well, I had another. No sane person wants to tick off one of the most menacing linebackers in NFL history, but I asked Rice this: Does Joe Flacco take unfair blame for the Ravens' losses to the Steelers?

Lewis stopped pacing. His eyes turned to Rice.

Without hesitation, and apparently without noticing Lewis, Rice gave a sharp, mature answer in which he called Flacco "an elite quarterback" and "a winning quarterback."

Never mind whether those are accurate assessments. It was the right answer for a teammate to give.

Lewis loved it.

"Good job, man," he whispered with a small fist pump.

That left with me two thoughts:

1. Lewis is still the man.

2. The Ravens appear to have quite the complex.

There can be no questioning that first one. The great No. 52 in purple is a giant of the game, not just of the Baltimore franchise.

That second one came with some doubt, though. It doesn't easily register that a team such as the Ravens can be so successful for so long, so physical, so feared and yet suffer collective psyche issues. Makes no sense.

Or does it?

Try to picture James Farrior, the Steelers' unquestioned leader, reacting in the same way — even if he were just messing around — had a teammate been asked about Ben Roethlisberger. Or picture James Harrison doing it. Or even the more vocal LaMarr Woodley. It's inconceivable that any of them would care what anyone told the media about anything.

If this were isolated, it wouldn't be much. But there were other signs this week.

Terrell Suggs, the Ravens' version of Woodley on and off the field, has refused to speak the word "Steelers" all through training camp. On Wednesday, he added the word "Pittsburgh" to the list. When a Baltimore reporter asked Suggs if he'll ever again mention the name of the city, he replied, "What city?"

Again, that's cute, maybe even a little fun. But picture the Steelers doing that.

I asked John Harbaugh, the Baltimore coach who's 0-5 against Roethlisberger right alongside Flacco, how he might explain Flacco's career showings against Pittsburgh.

"In what sense?" Harbaugh came back.

I clarified that Flacco clearly has performed better against other teams than against the Steelers.

"If you look at the numbers, the quarterback rating and all that, you can make that case," Harbaugh said. "Specifically why that is ... is that what you're asking?"

I nodded.

"I don't know. I'd be interested in your theories, though. I guess I'll get to read about them."

Nothing egregious there, either. But picture Mike Tomlin defending Roethlisberger on a similar charge with an "I don't know."

I asked Flacco about Flacco, too, and it was obvious he wanted little to do with my questions, both of which focused on his second-half playoff flop last winter at Heinz Field. The first was whether he had something to prove personally in facing the Steelers.

"It's our job as a team to go out there and play up to our abilities and win the game," Flacco said, as expressionless as he stayed throughout the media session.

Yet again, no big deal. Not everyone is an entertainer, and moreover, Flacco probably has fielded that question a time or 2,000.

But contrast that to Roethlisberger's "It's all on me" stance on losing the Super Bowl, a topic he'll discuss passionately no matter how often it's raised. It's true that Flacco wasn't the only one to blame for the Ravens' playoff collapse, but he most assuredly deserved a good chunk of it.

Several of the Ravens' players also spoke of being "winners" and "successful." And they're right to feel that way, even if it sounds a little defensive: They're the only NFL team to win a playoff game each of the past three years. They've had one of the league's best defenses for a decade.

"It's not like they've taken away from our success," the brilliant safety Ed Reed said of the Steelers. "We've been successful."

Yes, the Ravens have. But their rival cost them two golden chances to reach the Super Bowl in the past three years. To deny that the Steelers have taken away from their success is to deny that there's an underlying explanation for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

April 14, 2023 -

Season 13, Episode 114 of The Terrible Podcast is now in the can. In this Friday morning show, Alex Kozora and I get right to talking about the Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly agreeing to terms with special teams ace Tanner Muse on Friday. We discuss what his addition means and particularly if it might impact the Steelers selecting an inside linebacker in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Thanks to our site editor Scott Brown, we were fortunate enough to have a 30-minute interview with Hall of Famer and former Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau on Wednesday night. LeBeau talks to us about his forthcoming book on the Steelers 2008 defense that Brown is writing. Coach LeBeau talks to us about how former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu turned the corner in in his second NFL season, the first time he ran the Fire Zone defense, the most unsung hero of those great Steelers' defenses he coached and much more.

Obviously, we were thrilled and thankful to talk to Coach LeBeau for 30 minutes and hope to do it again next summer ahead of his book hitting the marketplace. Thanks again to Brown for setting this interview up for us.

It was reported during our Friday show that former Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree is signing with the Atlanta Falcons so Alex and I obviously address that news. The Steelers also announced two more top 30 pre-draft visitors during this show, so Alex and I discuss that news as well.

Is Lukas Van Ness out of Iowa a legitimate first-round option for the Steelers in the 2023 NFL Draft? Alex and I circle back to discussing him in this show. We discuss his tape, how he was used at Iowa and how he would fit in Pittsburgh if the Steelers were to draft him.

We answer a few listener questions late in this show to close things out. We mix in other Steelers talk throughout this episode that is not noted in this recap post.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

Steelers HC Mike Tomlin Talks Kenny Pickett, Coaching Future & More with Rich Eisen | Full Interview

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Been a big week for Irish Steelers Fans they seem to be seriously committed to growing the game and the brand here.

Advertisement