Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours being unfairly cut

Options
  • 27-03-2011 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm in a bit of a situation here and would like some advice.

In work, I am on a 44 hour contract (39 after breaks). It says on the contract that if the hours aren't available, they can cut them, which is fine.

Thing is, I've had my hours hugely cut over the last month with no real reason. I got 19 hours one week (3 days), 28 the next (only because it was Paddy's Day and all staff were needed to work), 3 days last week and next week I have 2 days.

Now, the week that's just ended, I was supposed to work 3 days. I worked one and called in sick for Wednesday and Thursday as I had a bad vomiting bug. The manager on duty said that was no problem and that he'd call someone to cover me. FRiday, I get a call saying I read the rota wrong and I was supposed to be working on Friday, not Wednesday. If that was the case, why wasn't I informed of this when I called in sick on Wednesday?!

So this week, I only have 2 days. They HAVE got the hours to give me, because all the other staff have been continuously getting higher hours than me. Example, when I had 3 days last week, all the other full time staff had 4, 5 and 6. THe other staff all have more hours than me and mine are getting cut more and more.

What can I do? My probation doesn't end for another week and a half because although I started on SEptember 30th, they made me sign a contract saying I started on October 7th.

Is there not some rule that they have to pay me if they have the hours but are choosing not to give them to me? I have requested more hours in writing more than once now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It depends what way the contract is worded. It should have you minimum hours on it and of they cant give you these they should pay you, BUT they may have added something to counter act this.

I'd advise you to go to the social welfare and sign on for the few days you arent working.

This will raise a bit of paperwork for your employer. Make sure you tell/write to your employer regularly you are available and willing to work full time.

Advertisement