Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB modified Genuine working NES Controller with internal flashdrive

Options
  • 26-03-2011 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

This is just an exploratory thread for me building "a genuine new Nes Controller wired for a usb cable with an internal flashdrive."

I intend to make one for myself and sell a second on adverts.ie with the possibility of making more if there is a demand. I saw something similar online and thought to give it a go. I could post up the process with photos after I finish the project for those interested.

The process and items are:

Genuine New Old Stock (NOS) NES Controller

Modified using an internal chip to convert the nes signal to the standard gamecontroller usb signal.

Wired with a USB cable.

Modified with an internal flash drive port to hold files, photos, homebrew emulators, etc. that is also communicated through the usb cable. Plug into any pc and use the flashdrive and controller straight away as the usb controller signal type is standard hid "plug and play"

This is not a recased eBay nes usb controller, the controllers I have are genuine new old stock sourced from someone who aquired them from a nintendo service depot. I need to consider the flash drive as a buyer may want to choose a size to be installed, this can be bought seperately by me or could be posted to me. If I buy it, I will include the reciept.

As far as pricing the toy, I am unsure, parts already make this fairly expensive, and factoring in my time, wiring, soldering, cutting the pcb etc. I expect it to be 50+

Feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Sounds like a very cool idea and I wouldn't see 50-100 being too expensive for it. People really love their retro gadgetry, even cooler to have a practical use for it. Best of luck to you.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You'd need to be quite careful how you market these if you're selling them, I would think. I daresay Nintendo wouldn't be happy with modified versions of their own gamepads being sold with added components that make piracy easier.

For that matter, I assume you're not going to be silly enough to sell/advertise them with emulators & ROMs (you might get away with the emulators but ROMs would almost definitely cause trouble).

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

@ Oh_Noes: Thank you for the well wishes!

@Fysh: Thank you for the caution. To elaborate...

I am doing this controller project in parallel to my NES-PC project and thought to ask if anyone had any ideas or desire for my controller. The cost is essentially my time and cost of parts.

The flash drive would certainly be blank! It is the novelty aspect of having a usable original gamepad for use on a pc with an additional use. I have no intention for selling anything that violates boards and adverts policy!

In fact, I want to stress that I want to distance myself from the idea of piracy. I understand the concern you have and thank you for pointing this out. There are the legal and ethical aspects that have been debated many times and I prefer to not be involved with from the get go. I wouldn't even consider putting emulators on the flashdrive as while many are free to use, most should not be bundled with something which is sold.

I hope that my statement clears this up.

In addition, I am considering recasing a GBA Micro in a nes controller and would love someone to donate a broken one for me to test the fitting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The idea certainly sounds interesting alright, and if you can get it to work you'd probably have a bit of interest. The NES controller is iconic and sells t-shirts, wallets, belt buckles and plenty of other things, so one that would work as a flash drive & as a controller would be pretty nifty.

One thing I'd suggest is to look into how travel mice intended for use with laptops work, particularly the ones that have retractable cords. I've seen some very cute designs that make space in the body of the mouse to contain the USB cord and plug when not in use - if you could incorporate that into your design it would add to the appeal.

I'm reminded of the Mega Drive controllers with long leads and SCART connectors that came out a couple of years back - someone had realised they could miniaturise the internals of a whole Megadrive, along with an EEPROM with a dozen or so game, into something that'd fit into the controller itself, leading to a 16-bit console that's just a controller (powered by a couple of AA batteries, I think) you plug into the TV and turn on to play. Might be an idea for a follow-on product, if you feel like discussing licensing rights with Nintendo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

@ Fysh

I really appreciate the feedback. The retractable cable is certainly an idea that I will look into. The question is of originality v practicality. I would need to consider the thickness of cable, design of retractable cable, and actual space in the controller. Maybe something similar to the cable design where it doesn’t retract unless you pull firmly on the cable and release? I am currently concerned about space but I will investigate the different travel mice designs.

I remember those mega drive controllers. There were many NES clones out there that used miniaturised hardware but still in the console style that may be suitable for a project. I saw a project ages ago online where a guy stripped down a cheap NES clone that came preloaded with poorly copied games (1000in1 style) into a controller. I may look into more suitable NES clone that may have small enough core hardware to develop a prototype from, then maybe incorporate a loading bay or flash chip. Though the time involved and the legal issues may only make it viable for a personal project. Even then, I probably do not have the time for this. A similar idea I had was to re-case a GBA Micro into a NES controller and incorporate the screen in such a way as to slide out from the top and return flush, conserving the controller style.

As far as the NES controller modification is concerned. I intend to make my test example over the next week (once all the parts arrive), figure out the best/cleanest way to go about repeating the process and then update this thread to assess whether there may be any interest.

Is there any objection to me building a few and offering them for sale (here or on adverts) to anyone who may like one? I do not wish to breach any boards or adverts rule. I would appreciate a confirmation that this will be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement