Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King of the Giant Rabbits

Options
  • 26-03-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Bit early for Easter? Quickly, get me Wallace and Gromit!
    N. rex, probabl wouldn't have been much of a match for T. rex! :pac:
    The 26-pound (12-kilogram) prehistoric species was about six times bigger than the common European rabbit, found on most continents, according to an analysis of several bones. Study leader Josep Quintana is no stranger to giant Minorcan rabbit fossils, though it took a while before he knew exactly how big a find he'd uncovered.

"When I found the first bone I was 19 years old, I was not aware what this bone represented. I thought it was a bone of the giant Minorcan turtle!" said Quintana, a paleontologist at the Institut Català de Palentologia in Barcelona.

The animal, which lived about three to five million years ago, had several "odd" features that have never before been seen in rabbits, living or extinct, according to the study.

For one, the giant rabbit's "short and stiff" vertebral column meant it couldn't bunny hop. And the relatively small sizes of sense-related areas of its skull suggested that the animal had small eyes and stubby ears—a far cry from modern rabbit ears (see picture.)

"I think that N. rex would be a rather clumsy rabbit walking," Quintana said. "Imagine a beaver out of water.

Read more here.

giant-minorcan-rabbit-nuralagus-rex_33588_600x450.jpg
    Image by Meike Köhler

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I first read about a giant Minorcan lagomorph ages ago! Paleontologists seem to believe that we will all live millions of years... :S

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

What advantage would those powerful hind legs be without the ability to 'bunny-hop'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

yekahS wrote: »
    What advantage would those powerful hind legs be without the ability to 'bunny-hop'?

Marathon running? Seriously could they have been bipedal runners?

Advertisement