Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in work place

Options
  • 26-03-2011 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I need help. I dont know if what happened to me on friday in work can be called bulling. I was informed yesterday that a comment i made to another staff member was rude was pulled into meeting over it. My comment in my mind was not rude but I said sorry to the person explaining that i didnt not mean for my comment to come across as rude but in fact a was been sarcastic.

This person that took offence to my comment was in fact the head person where i work. Later in the day i went to her office to say sorry for the fact my comment came across as rube but that it was not my intent.

She said so are you saying you were rube to me. i said no i was sorry that comment came across as rube not that i was rude to her. well she started shout at me that she didnt want to hear it and that it was not good enought for her. At that point a was shaking, she so was so argressive in her tone and body movments at that time was afraid. so she went on about me having a meeting on monday and i was to leave her office.

This only lasted a couple of mins but i ran down stairs and i was shaking from head to toe and crying my eyes out. I know i am at the bottom of the food chain but can i make a complent about this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I need help. I dont know if what happened to me on friday in work can be called bulling. I was informed yesterday that a comment i made to another staff member was rude was pulled into meeting over it. My comment in my mind was not rude but I said sorry to the person explaining that i didnt not mean for my comment to come across as rude but in fact a was been sarcastic.

This person that took offence to my comment was in fact the head person where i work. Later in the day i went to her office to say sorry for the fact my comment came across as rube but that it was not my intent.

She said so are you saying you were rube to me. i said no i was sorry that comment came across as rube not that i was rude to her. well she started shout at me that she didnt want to hear it and that it was not good enought for her. At that point a was shaking, she so was so argressive in her tone and body movments at that time was afraid. so she went on about me having a meeting on monday and i was to leave her office.

This only lasted a couple of mins but i ran down stairs and i was shaking from head to toe and crying my eyes out. I know i am at the bottom of the food chain but can i make a complent about this.

It will be hard to make a complaint seem genuine and not a counter complaint as a self protection...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,842 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If someone perceives you as being rude, then IMHO you ARE being rude whether you intended to be or not. And being sarcastic to the head of the department (or whatever) is not a clever move.

You went to this woman's office to tell her that she'd misunderstood you - and that you were sorry she had misunderstood. Do you understand that you were not actually apologising?. Essentially you were telling her (a boss) that she'd got it wrong. Again, not a clever move.

Sounds to me like you're going to have to eat a massive dose of humble pie if you want any chance of keeping this job.

And yes, I've been there: once I even managed to write an email signature tag-line that I thought was totally innocuous. A regional manager didn't though .. let's just say that I made an immediate and full apology, even though personally I thought he was WAAAY wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 maryannthunder

thanks for your replay its helps to hear from someone else. i have already made a written letter of apology but i feel she was wrong also but she dosnt see it that way, she said i took her up the wrong way so once again one rule for the lower staff and another for managment

Advertisement