Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lumbar puncture question

Options
  • 26-03-2011 10:17am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭

I had one done on wednesday, does it normaly affect you this long after, I feel like I got hit with a train....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It took me about 5 days to feel normal again. Although they trapped a nerve while doing it so I was on painkillers and all for a further week but the Lumbar Puncture thing defo made me feel wierd for almost a week. I had mine in Oct, and am STILL tender at the spot they did it. Thankfully I didn't get the headache, but apparently tonnes of cafeine helps with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Holy cow. I'm subscribing to this thread to see how other people got on with their LPs because it's something I might be getting in the near future.

What were you guys been tested for? Lyme? Meningitis?

condra wrote: »
    What were you guys been tested for? Lyme? Meningitis?

I was being tested for MS (it came back positive!).
    I had a pretty horrendous time of it though, as my fluid was hard to get so they had to do it twice in the one day, Digging around for ages, they were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

I have to say it was the most horrendous test I have ever had! I was being tested for meningitis, which turned out to be positive. The doctor was on call and got to me at 4am in a+e. She continued to yawn in my face and took a good few goes to get the test correctly done, resulting in my lower back looking like a dart board for a while! Hope I never have to get one again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Sorry to hear about the MS/Meningitis guys. Glad you got diagnosis though.

Neuro guy in The Mater was going to do a LP on me a couple of years ago but he decided not to because the test is such an ordeal. I'm going back to him soon though, and I think I might insist they do it as I'm ten years ill with no concrete diagnosis outside IBS/CFS.

Apparently if a serious headache develops afterwards, some people are given a "patch" where blood from the arm is injected into the spine.

I've also read that consuming large amounts of water in the lead up to the test can help prevent the headache, but I don't know if there is much truth in that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I'm suffering from severe headaches for a while, so they had to do a lumbar, all clear thank God.
    But I'm fcuked from the headaches from this as well the original headaches

condra wrote: »
    Apparently if a serious headache develops afterwards, some people are given a "patch" where blood from the arm is injected into the spine.

I've also read that consuming large amounts of water in the lead up to the test can help prevent the headache, but I don't know if there is much truth in that.

I was never told about drinking water first, but directly afterwards, you're told to lie flat on your back for at least 4 hours (the longer the better) to prevent a headache. And you're encouraged to drink loads of caffeine straight away... nightmare for me cos I don't drink fizzy drinks or coffee. My dad fed me tea through a straw! I got up about 2 hours into my "recovery" to go to the loo but was as quick as I could, and was back in bed as soon as I could, so had no headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

I have had a number of them in the past, due to having leukaemia, and have to admit I never felt even the slightest pain during or after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

What about headaches? Feels like the worst hangover ever, monday and I'm still fecked

BTW thanks to all for the info, and I hope each of you is on the road to recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

I have to admit I had no side effects whatsoever. After about the 5th or 6th, the area became mildly tender, but only during the insertion of the needle during LP. I didn't experience any side effects after.

Reading here I realise how lucky I have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ya had one of these done as well it doesnt hurt worse thing was the sudden shock when the needle enters your spine ...and the nurse informing me my brain could well get sucked out through my spine but that was ok... I did suffer afterwards for a few days with very bad headaches so bad that if i stood or sat up for long i would get sick

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

i had a LP about 2 years ago in tallaght hosp. compared to some stories it was ok. didn't hurt because they numbed the area, just felt weird! made me stay flat for an hour or so but i was ok after a few hours. they told me to drink full fat coke to get sugars and that, not sure if it helped but only had mild headache that day. they're not nice but in my experience not as bad as it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 LittlemsSkelly

Hi Doom,

I had my LP done in September 10' being tested for MS. Procedure itself was fine, absolutely no discomfort, talked through the entire thing thanks to the very lovely Valium I was given :D Prior to the procedure and afterwards, drank as much coke and coffee on the recommendations of the nurses and neurologists as they took more CSF than they had meant to, didn't do anything. Until the fluid levels replenish themselves within 5 - 12 days, it's completely normal to feel terrible. I got the LP headache and it is the worst pain I've ever experienced, but if you lie down flat, it goes in about 1 minute. Feels like the worst tension/pressure headache you'll ever have. If your symptoms continue go back to your GP or the hospital as you might need the blood patch done. You may get the odd twitch as well but everyone is different and remember, you got a big a$$ needle in your spine, you should be proud! Welcome to the LP club! Best of luck and feel better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got it done yesterday and ive been in bits all day my whole back stomach ribs sides etc.. Is this suppose 2 happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭hdunne

sexychaz!! wrote: »
    I got it done yesterday and ive been in bits all day my whole back stomach ribs sides etc.. Is this suppose 2 happen ?

hi there, I'm not an expert, just had it done the once so I can just comment om my experience. i had to stay flat in bed for a while (few hours) drank some full fat coke (replace sugars or something!) and i was fine. no pain that you describe above at all. where did u get it done? did they tell you what you may feel like afterward?

Advertisement