Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in skylight

Options
  • 26-03-2011 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

As title says water seems to have gotten between the double glazing on a skylight. Is there a way of draining these? There's a nice drop slipping around in there!!!
    Cheers Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Probably best to take out the skylight and figure out where the water is getting in. Get a 2mm drill bit and drill into it somewhere inconspicuous (ideally the corner) to release the water, a second hole might be needed to allow air in as the water comes out. Seal it up with something like tiger seal or even a blob of hot glue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In my experience hot glue will fail over time. Better off with tigerseal or sikaflex

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

In my experience hot glue will fail over time. Better off with tigerseal or sikaflex

Probably right, I find it handy for some interior jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Brilliant for interior stuff yes, but not for anything that would be subjected to weather or large temperature fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

if the water is getting in , it's possible the skylight is gone a bit brittle from UV , so be careful . Is it the big Heki , or one of the standard 400mm opening ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    if the water is getting in , it's possible the skylight is gone a bit brittle from UV , so be careful . Is it the big Heki , or one of the standard 400mm opening ones?

I didn't notice any UV damage or discolouration but then again maybe it wouldn't be noticeable I'm not sure what size it is but I'd say bigger than 400.
    (I store the van elsewhere so I don't have the opportunity to measure it for a few days)
    Cheers Marty.

Advertisement