Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Time Starts Tomorrow.

Options
  • 26-03-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

Just a reminder that the clocks go forward an hour tomorrow morning.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Just enjoying the developing year, now I'll be catapulted into next month.Hate it every year.

I do remember and still enjoy the experiment where it did not happen for a few years, I want them back./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A loss of an hour. What nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The amount of energy saved around the globe thanks to daylight savings time is amazing! Plus the fact that in 24 hours there will be a lot more light! Makes me happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, there is definitetly the same amount of light!

Summer Time is quite pointless in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it's a good thing. We have more light when it counts, i.e. in the evenings. Nobody wants the sun rising at 4:30am and setting at 8pm. We would spend more of our day in darkness that way. With the change forward, it's still plenty bright in the morning, but we have the extra hour to do outdoor activities in the evening, which is better for our health. We can grab the extra hour of sun in our gardens, and it means I can get in 18 holes of golf after work!! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I think its great, what i hate is people who think it should stay in DST and not go back in October . .some people seem tot think that the amount of daylight changes, not when we enjoy it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Anyone have any predictions for this summer. Love the winter but i'm now really hoping for a cracking hot summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

I hope we will continue to have this artic influence which is keeping the Gulf Stream pushed down towards Spain/Portugal - all it brings is rain, and while I know it's colder than normal (especially in the evenings) it's great not to have rain for an extended spell.
    Just to expand on an earlier discussion about Summer Time, I would support delaying changing back to Winter Time until end of November,and, going forward at the end of February. I definitely think this would shorten "the Winter". Actually there is a Govt. TD proposing something similar in today's Irish Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The clever Russians have now abandoned DST.
    I think it makes sense to get rid of the clock changing. The Russian president has the right idea.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/russia-winter-time.html

The clever Russians have now abandoned DST.
    I think it makes sense to get rid of the clock changing. The Russian president has the right idea.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/russia-winter-time.html

So you would prefer it to be dark an hour earlier all summer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do what the Russians did and put the clocks to summertime all year round.

Do what the Russians did and put the clocks to summertime all year round.

That doesn't work either, because we end up with mornings dark until nearly 10a.m. in December. The best solution is to change to summer time one month earlier and to change back a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

For a good number of people in Ireland we're actually (based on geography) supposed to be at GMT-1. Anywhere with a longitude of 7.5 west or more is supposed to be an hour behind London.

Summertime is a complete waste of resources iirc.

If people want to have a redistibuted working day it should be possible to change the start and finish hours of the work day, instead of changing the clock to suit the work day..
    Start kids back at school at 8am instead of 9am after St. Patrick's Day.

I'd love to have the country at GMT all year round, and have the work day aligned to European times - seeing as we mostly do anyway in bigger companies it would not be a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Been saying that we should just change the time to work, for like ever. Traditionally the building industry expanded time in the summer and shortened their working days in the winter.

Over the years, hug opposition cam from school going and working mothers. Never mind the farmer, there are only a few of them and they don;t follow out time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Popoutman wrote: »

I'd love to have the country at GMT all year round, and have the work day aligned to European times - seeing as we mostly do anyway in bigger companies it would not be a big deal.

Why should we be aligned to European times? Time zones exist because of the curvature of the Earth, the USA seems to function with three different time zones. Why should we be on the same time as say Berlin? I couldn't imagine the sun rising at 10am in Berlin like it would here in winter, they're not that stupid!

Advertisement