Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-tune - For or against?

Options
  • 26-03-2011 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on this.

Personally I have no problem with it as long as it adds to the overall effect of the song, some people are however vehemently against it as it does not represent 'real' music.

Artists such as Kesha have sparked this debate and use it quite a lot in their songs. If you want a really good example go look at "Take it Off", also Jay Sean's new song "Hit the Lights" features in my opinion a pretty nifty autotune segment about 20 seconds in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I didnt realize this was even up for debate.

Auto-tune is shoite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

99% of the time it sounds terrible. When I hear an artist using that stupid effect it makes me cringe. Just a easy way to mask terrible singers.

On the otherside, it has massive gains in the studio. If you cant hit a certain pitch its there to help you etc but Im against it over-all.

Im also fairly certain its used live by many many pop artists. Either than or lip sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jus.Me

i think the "real music" argument is bollox.
    autotune does sound very dated now though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The whole point of Auto-Tune (and Melodyne) is that you shouldn't hear it at all. When it is used as a noticeable effect it generally does sound terrible though.

The whole real music debate is a bit stupid though. Since the arrival of multi-track recording, effects have been used to improve recordings and editing (digital or physical tape splicing) has been used to ensure the best of several takes is used.

These are pitch correction tools, not pitch substitute tools, if an artist hasn't a note in their head they shouldn't be recording, but as a tool to correct one or two minor mistakes in an otherwise great performance, I don't see the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Anything any artist can use to make anything with is a good thing... It's the art we should be debating, not the tools.

When I hear people bring up the music-isn't-real-anymore-like-it-was-back-when argument against autotune... What about vocoders? When Kraftwerk did The Robots, those same people weren't complaining about the 'fake' singing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Anything any artist can use to make anything with is a good thing... It's the art we should be debating, not the tools.

When I hear people bring up the music-isn't-real-anymore-like-it-was-back-when argument against autotune... What about vocoders? When Kraftwerk did The Robots, those same people weren't complaining about the 'fake' singing.

Yeah but I dont think Kraftwerk were using vocoders to hide weak vocals, it just fitted more with their overall robotic sound. Autotune gives a real safety net to singers who can just go into the studio and feel like they dont really have to give it their best shot.

Having said that, I would certainly need autotune :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cringefest. It's right up there with the likes of Beyoncé - if a song is 3:38, I will warble through all 3:38 of it and never let the music come through - Knowles, and nearly as bad as having a sing-a-long with the Chipmunks like ShaneWard/Scooter/Akon/Eminem, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

It has it's uses to create interesting vocoding sounds. Effects in the studio have always been vitally important such as chorus, compression and reverb.

But it is absolutely raped on pop music these days. T-Pain has a lot to answer for. Some idiots probably think he's some kind of pioneer when he's just using it to mask the limitations of his voice. It's been used in some shape or form for decades.

I have several great vocoders that I use. I really like ones such as Vocodex and The Mouth. Melodyne is probably the most powerful one but that and Autotune are very overpriced indeed. There is a bundle for two made by Image-Line called Newtone and Pitcher. You can get them as a bundle for $12 which is great value.

It mentions that you can sound like T-Pain but I suppose that's what popular these days. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kraftwerk et al use it as a style device, not to hide behind. Anything thats designed to make the performer sound talented when they can't hit or hold a note is a lie!

No if buts or maybes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭bradlente

I just associate it with lazy pop/r n' b songs that its overused in.
    Maybe when it becomes less popular ina couple o years someone will use it in an inventive and interesting way.
    One of the first times I remember hearing it was "one more time" by Daft Punk,and thats a great tune imo.

Basically once it stops making money and is discarded by the "industry" it'll be cool and manipulated by us elitists:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

You know the singer can't actually sing the part of the song, or sing at all when you hear autotune rearing its ugly head. It makes the worst of the worst sound somewhat good and for that, it is absolute ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I like a lot of singers who... well can't sing and I prefer them like that if I'm honest, I think guys like M.E.S and Yoni Wolf have this natural delivery that those concerned with hitting the right notes don't always have. So if it's used in correcting vocals them no, I don't have a taste for it.

I can understand it being used for a particular effect. Is that what's used in say... Archangle by Burial, I actually enjoy it in that context, even if it's kind of unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bob Dylan and Tom Waits could do with autotune ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I am against it when used to hide the lack of singing talent. I don't mind when it's used creatively, example being Daft Punk - One More Time as mentioned above.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Bob Dylan and Tom Waits could do with autotune ;)

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Kanye West's album 808s & Heartbreak is almost entirely auto tune but it was one of the best albums of 2008. I suppose it depends how its used ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

Autotune / Melodyne / Pitch Correction etc.. etc.. whatever is your weapon is always used in pro recordings did I mention ALWAYS. Its like EQ it can be used as a correction tool or as an effect as per Kanye, Flo etc..

Its not really up for debate as said above, it will wear out soon just as the radio / lofi vocal of the early 2k has.... eg: brit / backstreet etc.. something new will happen :D its like all the new stutter fx, (black eyed peas etc..) they are used everywhere now too, these are mainly to make the listeners ear perk up and take note as they are not normal/natural to the human ear, stick on Celine Dion and watch how you switch off even though shes a kickin singer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bitches don't know about the Symphony of Science...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

The idea of using Autotune to cover up mistakes and make the singer sound better doesn't sit easy with me. Besides, perfectly in tune singers, as found in girl bands and the likes, don't sound nearly as good as a less technically proficient but interesting singing voice.

Autotune's alright if used in an interesting way. Like Kanye West as mentioned before. But it is completely overused as an effect, to the point that I cringe when I hear it now. Hopefully the Friday song has finally killed off all of autotune's credability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Jus.Me wrote: »
    i think the "real music" argument is bollox.
    autotune does sound very dated now though..

This is exactly what I believe.
    I usually see autotune just as another attempt for hardcore rock critics to blast pop stars. As stated before Daft Punk use autotune for effect as do other rock artists. Pop and rock are pretty much the same in their production, its only the lyrical content thats different and pop songs are more radio-friendly.

But personally I have no problem with autotune. I can understand singers using it if they don't have much confidence for opening their hearts and singing from there. Some people just haven't reached that stage yet, like Cheryl Cole. Cheryl can sing but she uses autotune and thats fine because she is terrified of performing live without GA.

I think eventually autotune will die down and there will be more variety in music we hear on the radio. Right now there's a lot of autotune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

If using autotune as a certain effect is alright, why so much hate for T Pain and Lil Wayne and co.?
    karaokeman wrote: »
    Daft Punk use autotune for effect as do other rock artists.

The word 'other' is the bit I have a problem with... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

El Pr0n wrote: »
    If using autotune as a certain effect is alright, why so much hate for T Pain and Lil Wayne and co.?

Because we're all pasty white and middle class and black people scare us…

Advertisement