Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Mac fix questions.

Options
  • 26-03-2011 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to have two problems solved involving my Macbook Pro, running on OS X 10.7.6, would appreciate your help:

1. I wrote my thesis using Word for mac. At some stage during writing it, I managed to set my computer's language settings to Irish (was trying to type a fada for something else). Have since changed it back, but the text in the thesis is now set to English and Irish, which means my spellcheck won't work for the whole thing! nightmare. I've tried copying and pasting it into another document (With the text on the comp set to English only again) to no avail, and have also tried opening it in the computers in college, No joy. Any ideas on how to get the damn thing set to English and get spellcheck working? I do NOT want to have to re-type 18 pages of work...

2. Wifi: In order to log in to college wifi, I have to set the advanced network preferences, under 'proxies' to Automatic Proxy configuration and manually put in the pac file for the network in order to log in to the wifi. It's a secure network that I have to log into manually by pressing 'join other network' every time my comp comes back from sleep mode. Any ideas how to get it to remember the network?
    Also, when I come home, I have to change the proxy settings again manually, is it possible to set the proxies for my home modem to Auto Proxy discovery and for college to the set one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm not a Word expert so somebody else will have to help you there.

For your networking issue you can define locations in the network settings which can then be selected when you're at college/home.

Apple Knowledgebase - Using network locations in Mac OS X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

Easiest way to do this is to copy all text into text edit. then copy the text again and past back into word with the correct language selected and all. This will lose some formatting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

running on OS X 10.7.6
    Really ?!

I had similar problems with Word and it's damned spell checker a few years ago. A Mac with it's location set to Ireland with and Irish Keyboard set to English seems to confuse the hell out of it !!

The solution on the M$ website was to set the Mac to UK with a UK keyboard with English as the language. It worked at the time !

That was whatever version of office was out in 2007 so may not apply to more recent versions, I use pages now :)

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Trog

ZENER wrote: »
    Really ?!

I had similar problems with Word and it's damned spell checker a few years ago. A Mac with it's location set to Ireland with and Irish Keyboard set to English seems to confuse the hell out of it !!

The solution on the M$ website was to set the Mac to UK with a UK keyboard with English as the language. It worked at the time !

That was whatever version of office was out in 2007 so may not apply to more recent versions, I use pages now :)

Ken

Oops, no, not really, it's 10.6.7.

Thanks for the help guys, the location thingy looks exactly like what I'm after, and hopefully I can sort out the other issue without too much hassle.

Advertisement