Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook - accounts, groups, pages & usernames - help!

Options
  • 25-03-2011 5:45pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I started a new website which is well integrated into facebook. I started with a normal profile like a person would have - and chose the username as facebook.com/mysite.ie which is perfect. However I now realise that what I should have done is started with a Page (on which people can 'Like') and had the username for that as facebook.com/mysite.ie - cause this is the link I;d like to use on promotional material etc. I did set up a facebook 'like page' but it will only let me chose a different username facebook.com/mysite-ireland for example.

So, first, can I change this? I don't wan to mess around in case I do something stupid. Is anyone here a bit of an expert in this field that could help me out with this as a nixer?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Zascar wrote: »
    So, first, can I change this? I don't wan to mess around in case I do something stupid. Is anyone here a bit of an expert in this field that could help me out with this as a nixer?
    Don't think you'll need any help to be honest, unless the issue goes a bit deeper than suggested.

If you go to your 'incorrect' profile, you can now (it's a relatively new feature) convert it to a business page.

Some have suggested that within a week to ten days the old vanity URL will become available again, but if you want to make sure just contact Facebook post the change (all friends will be transferred over as likes) and ask for a manual transfer of the URL (be sure to update any websites to the temporary link during the transition).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

See if you can upgrade your profile to a page. Your vanity URL should travel with you.

Make sure that you have your own personal profile as well.

BrianD wrote: »
    Your vanity URL should travel with you.
    The caveat on the migration page suggests it won't and experiences of users to date have confirmed it didn't (at least up until a few days ago).

However, if they're encountering it enough they should be looking at resolving this and it would make sense as part of the migration process (Brian might have more recent experience than I?). If it doesn't auto transfer, I'd just use the contact form above to ensure it doesn't get 'used' by someone if/when it's dropped from the old account before you can reclaim it.

I wasn't aware of this and it would make perfect sense as part of the migration process. Or at least have it as an option.

FB are notoriously slow in getting back to you.

Probably the only immediate approach is to drop the vanity URL on the existing profile, migrate and then try and claim it again.

Having said that, things can be very random on FB. I couldn't claim a vanity profile initially even though it wasn't in use. Eventually had to get a contact who deals with FB to pull some strings.

BrianD wrote: »
    FB are notoriously slow in getting back to you.

Probably the only immediate approach is to drop the vanity URL on the existing profile, migrate and then try and claim it again.
    100% on the speed of response. The username requests aren't as bad as others (relatively speaking), but I still wouldn't expect a rapid response or resolution.

Heh, I wasn't aware you could drop the vanity URL? Can you do this without deleting the profile (thus losing the current friends as likes in the migration process)?

Once you migrate it should happen by default in a number of days, it just increases the risk of someone else grabbing the name (it depends on the relevance/uniqueness of the name, this might not be a concern for Zascar).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sweet, I just did it and the username did come with me! Phew! That was pretty easy!
    Thanks for the replies.

Now, any tips on the do's and dont's of a facebook fan page?

Just out of curiosity. I have never done the profile to page conversion. What happens after the conversion? Does your original profile login effectively become a business account type login?

As for dos and don's I can give you a list as long as your arm (and probably longer).

key ones would be;
    Update often
    Be conversational
    Be honest and transparent
    Be respectful to others
    Be proactive
    Keep business and personal separate
    Prepare for both positive and negative comments
    Make sure both your own privacy and confidentiality and that of others is respected
    Use all the facilities to the max - photos, video, discussions, polls etc.
    Use a landing page
    Make sure everybody within your organisation that updates Facebook (or other social media) is trained and you have a usage policy in place.
    Brand your page
    If you are a retail biz look at integrating with Facebook Places

That's for starters.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes it just moves it from being a profile page to a fan page. Does not move your content only your friends into fans.

Ok my page is looking very bare now, anyone got any links on how to build a good fan page? I tried that Static FBML thing but its tricky to get working.

Start the process rolling again! There is a transient element to FB status updates. Nobody is really going to be looking for old posts that often.

Got photos? Get the up!

Have you branded the page?

Are you in the right business category?

Are you a retail business or a business that people come to you? Get a Facebook place and then merge it with you page!

Landing page. Apparently a good landing page can get you an extra 35% likes. Static FBML is gone (still supported but you can't add new FBML pages). There's a nice free application called " Static HTML iFrame". Search for it on FB. It gives you one landing page for non-fans and another for fans.

Thanks, I was wondering cause I could not get Static FBML working. I did see this though: http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/23/1-best-ways-customize-facebook/ - program that do it for you.

I have someone doing one of those landing pages whereby to see the content you have to 'Like' the page and share it too - really helps with spreading the word!

• Advertisement

Guys does anyone know the answer to this? Since I migrated my facebook profile to a page - I can now only operate as a page and not a profile, so I cannot comment on other peoples pages etc. I remember when it was a profile, you can create a page and make your page act as that profile. Now that I am only a page, how do I add a profile to it, so i can comment on other peoples pages and status etc?

Also just saw this - the www.makeuseof.com Guide to Facebook - looks interesting

Advertisement