Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banks switching from tracker to standard variable

Options
  • 19-03-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Does anyone has experience where their bank has switched them from tracker to standard variable during fixing their mortgage for 1,2 or 3 years. it is legal? can banks do this without proper explanation or warning to borrowers? any help will be useful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭ForestFire

dvshah1974 wrote: »
    Does anyone has experience where their bank has switched them from tracker to standard variable during fixing their mortgage for 1,2 or 3 years. it is legal? can banks do this without proper explanation or warning to borrowers? any help will be useful

Banks cannot change you terms and conditions without your agreement. If they have switched you without you knowing then it is illegal and should demand to be put back on the tracker (And to be returned any extra interest), and seek leagal advice if they will not.

I presume you you have change nothing else on your mortgage like term, lower repayments?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dvshah1974 wrote: »

Not sure what the bit in bold means.

Is it that you were initially on tracker, then went to fixed and when the fixed period was up the bank reverted you to standard variable rather than tracker?

If that's true then you may well be goosed. But it'll depend on what the documentation says. I'm pretty sure I have heard of people who came off fixed and they did revert to tracker (on this forum I think), so don't give up on it.

Advertisement