Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Hand Cesarean Section?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 11:03pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, Just wondering has anyone had the vet perform a Section on the cows right hand side? Reason im asking is we have a purebred charolais cow that breeds champion show bulls, but she is too muscley to calve anything. She's due to calve again in about 2 months and this will be her third c section. A young vet mentioned that he would operate on the r.h.s if neccesay. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

We had a vet operate on the right hand side of a cow that had twins for us years ago. Sad thing was the cow died as soon as he touched her with the scalpal.:(

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

kay 9 wrote: »
    We had a vet operate on the right hand side of a cow that had twins for us years ago. Sad thing was the cow died as soon as he touched her with the scalpal.:(

What caused her death Kay?

pajero12 wrote: »
    What caused her death Kay?
    I don't know mate tbh. But he told us that as soon as he touched her with the knife that she was going to go. I was only a young fella at the time. We had 2 pet calves out of it so I was well pleased. Sad the way the cow looked back though. I'll ask the ould fella, must have been something to do with her having twins.

Just after calling him there, he said she went down with cal deficiency and was too far gone. Hadn't the strength to calf herself I suppose. If we had been wiser and known she was carrying twins she would have got special treament I suppose. After googling c-section there and left is preffered but makes no odds apparently. Same procedure on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

I think left hand side is easier for the vet to do (think our vet said there are some organs restricting access on the right hand side)

He also said it is very common for cows in Belgium to have multiple c-sections, because of the breeding over there. I think they may do up to four on the lhs followed by two on the right. Because they are so used to performing multiple c-sections on individual cows, they leave as much room as possible for future sections, by starting a little more to one side. Whereas here, most cows have at most one or two sections, so vets aren't as concerned about leaving room for more.

OP, I know it's harder for a cow to have a natural birth once she's had a couple of c-sections, but would restricting the cows diet for the next six weeks or so maybe prevent the need for a section?
    Do you know is she carrying a bull or a heifer calf?
    Best of luck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

After c-section you get adhesions between the abdominal viscera. The more c-sections performed the greater the amount of adhesions. It can thus be very difficult to either exteriorise the uterus or even just even incise blind into it.
    A c-section is easier to do on the LHS, the rumen is present on the LHS (it generally does not fall out). If one does a RHS approach the small intestines are present there and they tend to spill out while you are trying to grab onto the uterus (not good). The RHS approach is far more difficult, but may have to be done if adhesions are too severe on the LHS (from multiple LHS c-sections).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

We have only ever done 1 C section (dairy herd)

the vet did it on the cows right hand side, I didn't know there was a preference for doing it on the left

Calf was fine, cow was initially ok after the operation as well, then she got an infection after 3 or 4 days and died couple of days later

Thanks for all the replys guys,
    Upstream wrote: »
    I think left hand side is easier for the vet to do (think our vet said there are some organs restricting access on the right hand side)

He also said it is very common for cows in Belgium to have multiple c-sections, because of the breeding over there. I think they may do up to four on the lhs followed by two on the right. Because they are so used to performing multiple c-sections on individual cows, they leave as much room as possible for future sections, by starting a little more to one side. Whereas here, most cows have at most one or two sections, so vets aren't as concerned about leaving room for more.

OP, I know it's harder for a cow to have a natural birth once she's had a couple of c-sections, but would restricting the cows diet for the next six weeks or so maybe prevent the need for a section?
    Do you know is she carrying a bull or a heifer calf?
    Best of luck anyway.
    Unfortunately diet wont have any effect, It's not fat she's carrying. She's scanned in calf carrying a bull calf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

a limousin breeder was telling me that a lot of the pedigree breeders do their own cesarean sections.he said the hold key to cesarean sections is letting in no dirt.he lost cows he said the cow or heifer would be fine if she gets over 10 days.a man from monaghan is farming out in france and he has a herd of pedigree belgian blues and he does all his own cesarean sections.he has great setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

a limousin breeder was telling me that a lot of the pedigree breeders do their own cesarean sections.he said the hold key to cesarean sections is letting in no dirt.he lost cows he said the cow or heifer would be fine if she gets over 10 days.a man from monaghan is farming out in france and he has a herd of pedigree belgian blues and he does all his own cesarean sections.he has great setup.

It would be illegal in Ireland.

LC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

LostCovey wrote: »
    It would be illegal in Ireland.LC

Correct and right.
    The OP also mentioned the key to CS being to let in no dirt. I would add to this point and extend it to any calving especially assisted calvings. The long plastic gloves are not just to protect the user but the cow aswell!

I wouldnt believe that now to be honest! Especially with big calves and several layers of muscle. If the uterus isn't perfectly stitched amni. fluid will leak into the addominal cavity causing infection. Apparently this is the downfall in alot of c-sections. Dont know how true it is on the other hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

a neighbour had a cow that needed a section for the third time and vet reckoned he wasn't goin to stitch her up this time, he was just goin to put a zipper on her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Hi guys, Just wondering has anyone had the vet perform a Section on the cows right hand side? Reason im asking is we have a purebred charolais cow that breeds champion show bulls, but she is too muscley to calve anything. She's due to calve again in about 2 months and this will be her third c section. A young vet mentioned that he would operate on the r.h.s if neccesay. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Quick question, what is breeding of the cow and what is she incalf too?

Purebred Charolais cow in calf to Hermes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Purebred Charolais cow in calf to Hermes!

Were Ya hoping for a heifer calf?

Advertisement