Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy 10th Birthday Mac OS X!

Options
  • 24-03-2011 9:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Mac OS X is 10 years old today. As MacWorld puts it:
    On March 24, 2001, the iMac was less than three years old, the iPod was still more than six months away, and Macs ran at astounding speeds of up to 733MHz. But most importantly, Apple on that day released the first official version of Mac OS X, changing the future of its platform forever.

Though nobody knew it at the time, the release, codenamed Cheetah, was the first step in transforming Apple from a company poised on the verge of disaster into the second most valuable company in the world.

Booting up OS X 10.0.0 on my old iMac G3 for the first time is definitely one of my most memorable computing experiences. It was so radically different from Mac OS 9, as indeed it was a completely new operating system. It was a very bumpy upgrade to say the least with many people suggesting that Apple had basically unleashed beta software on the masses. It was slow, it was buggy, there was no decent web browser, you had to use Classic for almost everything. I can still remember the hysteria on the Mac boards. But everything worked out in the end. :D

Probably a lot of switchers in here, but does anyone else remember installing OS X on their Mac for the first time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Mac OS X is 10 years old today. As MacWorld puts it:

Booting up OS X 10.0.0 on my old iMac G3 for the first time is definitely one of my most memorable computing experiences. It was so radically different from Mac OS 9, as indeed it was a completely new operating system. It was a very bumpy upgrade to say the least with many people suggesting that Apple had basically unleashed beta software on the masses. It was slow, it was buggy, there was no decent web browser, you had to use Classic for almost everything. I can still remember the hysteria on the Mac boards. But everything worked out in the end. :D

Probably a lot of switchers in here, but does anyone else remember installing OS X on their Mac for the first time?

I remember it alright, installing it on a G4 Cube (Pointless exercise at the time) and on a PowerMac G4 ... it was something totally different at the time .. but the reality was for at least 6-8 months until 10.1 using classic mode ...

I wonder where that G4 Cube is now ... i loved that machine with it's customary crack in the plastic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

took me a while to switch - i think it was a graphite imac i had (which I still have) when os x came out. I switched and then switched back after realising carmegeddon wouldnt work too well in classic mode. I had os x for about a year or so before switching fully to it.

Its a far cry from the fiasco that happened between 7.5 and 9

• Registered Users Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I celebrated my 10th anniversary last year :D

I got the public beta of OS X in September 2000. Apple sold it for 30 quid or something. I had it running on a Blue & White Power Mac G3, although not as my main OS. Codenamed "Kodiak", it was the only OS X version not named after a cat. The Apple logo was in the centre of the menu bar, and it didn't have a menu when you clicked on it. There was consternation from users, and the trusty Apple menu was returned to it's rightful place on the top left of the screen in the official release.

A very exciting time to be a Mac user, after years of fiasco with the Copland vapourware.

It's mad to think that not long before then you couldn't open a tech mag or forum without some prediction on the imminent demise of Apple. And here I am posting this on my iPad 2 :) How times have changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

phutyle wrote: »
    It's mad to think that not long before then you couldn't open a tech mag or forum without some prediction on the imminent demise of Apple. And here I am posting this on my iPad 2 :) How times have changed!

Apple, rightly, were about to hit the wall at the end of the last century. I got a 4400 sometime around 97 ish and it was the worst apple machine I have ever purchased. if jobs hadnt stepped back in when he did, they'd certainly be finished by now

Advertisement