Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

right turns inspired by Frogger

• 24-03-2011 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Ever been frustrated trying to make a right turn out of a slip/feeder into busy traffic?
    It can be wearying and nervewracking in a car, where you have to wait for simultaneous gaps in both directions in traffic, or else bull your way and block nearside traffic till someone on the opposite side flashes you out, considerably more so on a bike.

That was till yesterday when after 30+ years of cycling I had an epiphany -
    Just make a left turn with the first break in nearside traffic, immediately indicate and move into the centre then make a u-turn when theres a break in the farside traffic.
    Et voila, You've made the right turn!

AFAIK there is nothing contentious about this manouvre (I'm sure it will be pointed out if it is), I'm just amazed it took me so long to figure this out and thought I'd post it just in case there are any other cyclists with similarly staggering lack of insight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

souter wrote: »
    AFAIK there is nothing contentious about this manouvre (I'm sure it will be pointed out if it is)

If the centre line is solid white, it's not permitted, afaik.

(Though that didn't seem to bother the drivers in two separate instances I saw today, both of whom did U-turns across solid white lines.:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ive been doin it for years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,838 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I do it occasionally. Useful manoeuvre.

Advertisement