Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Yeti

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Speaking on 'Friday Night with Jonathan Ross' in 2009, British wildlife expert David Attenborough said he believed that there was very convincing evidence that yetis do exist
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110323/tod-official-yeti-probe-planned-after-re-045b8e8.html

what does everyone think. do they exsist

He was basically saying that Jonathan Ross is a Yeti - have you ever seen the size of his feet? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'd say if they did exist, we'd have had proof a long time ago. It would be cool if they did exist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

This is more cyptzoology than conspiracy theory. It's the kind of thing that it would be great if they did exist. I'd err on the side that it doesn't but if it was found to exist (hard evidence like a body) I wouldn't be too surprised).
    I agree with him on the loch ness monster in that it should be seen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

article-1145667-037BF36E000005DC-381_468x528.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They're pretty common I thought?

skoda-yeti.jpg

;)

His American cousin has the law on his side in some areas
    THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that any premeditated, wilful and wanton slaying of such creature shall be deemed a felony punishable by a fine not to exceed Ten Thousand Dollars)($10,000.00) and-or imprisonment in the County jail for a period not to exceed Five (5) years,

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the situation existing constitutes an emergency and as such this Ordinance is effective immediately.

ADOPTED this 1st day of April, 1969.
    Board of Commisioners of Skamania County
    Source: http://www.chvs.org/wst_page4.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭HugoDrax

All of the most remote regions of the world have been reached by mankind and mapped. Not a single trace has been found of Yetis.
    It is not impossible that they exist but it is highly unlikely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

HugoDrax wrote: »
    All of the most remote regions of the world have been reached by mankind and mapped. Not a single trace has been found of Yetis.
    It is not impossible that they exist but it is highly unlikely.

Thats not really true. Also they are finding new species every single day. There are more species being discovered now than ever before.

Not saying that means there is a yeti, but I would put quite a bit of stock in what local legends say. They tend to be proved right. Like the hobbit stories on the island of Flores. Obviously would be dismissed as pure nonsense, until Homo Florensis was discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭HugoDrax

yekahS wrote: »
    Thats not really true. Also they are finding new species every single day. There are more species being discovered now than ever before.

Not saying that means there is a yeti, but I would put quite a bit of stock in what local legends say. They tend to be proved right. Like the hobbit stories on the island of Flores. Obviously would be dismissed as pure nonsense, until Homo Florensis was discovered.

None have been taken dead or alive, no photographs, no tracks, no hair or bones or any other evidence that you would expect if yetis did exist.
    Stories of yetis are just stories unless there is actual verifiable evidence.
    I am not saying it is impossible but if no evidence of yetis has ever been found then I think their existence is highly unlikely. The chances of their existence is so remote that I am highly confident that they do not in fact exist. I am open to the possibility nonetheless but I would have so little confidence in being pleasantly proven wrong that I harbor no hope whatsoever of any yeti ever being found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The yeti is supposed to live in mountainous, snowy areas in Asia isn't it? As opposed to bigfoot, who resides in North America, and is regularly 'seen' by hunters, campers, and hicks.

Wouldn't be blown away to discover that they've found something in rural Asia, although the evidence so far is not forthcoming. Bigfoot, on the other hand, would blow me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Bigfoot had his own tv show and is retired.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

well I would have to say that local legends over Generations in many different areas have described fairly simmilar creatures, so I would be leaning on the side of Probable existance. but then I also believe that the troll legends of the Nordic countries describe a seperate race of Humans Probably Neanderthals

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

It's pretty impossible that any sort of Yeti/Bigfoot monster things ever existed. From the look of this imaginary beast, it could only be some sort of made up primate. Even if it were a genuine question to science at some point (which it never was), someone would have figured out that primates aren't indigenous to temperate areas - They only occur in Asia, South America and Africa.
    Bigfoot etc. aint real, don't worry about it.
    A single plesiosaur didn't survive for 100 million years in a lake in Scotland either.
    Sorry.
    I'm a zoologist by the way, not just trollin' ;).
    'Cryptozoology' isn't a real thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

aidoh wrote: »
    It's pretty impossible that any sort of Yeti/Bigfoot monster things ever existed. From the look of this imaginary beast, it could only be some sort of made up primate. Even if it were a genuine question to science at some point (which it never was), someone would have figured out that primates aren't indigenous to temperate areas - They only occur in Asia, South America and Africa.
    Bigfoot etc. aint real, don't worry about it.
    A single plesiosaur didn't survive for 100 million years in a lake in Scotland either.
    Sorry.
    I'm a zoologist by the way, not just trollin' ;).
    'Cryptozoology' isn't a real thing though.
    Get into it over here mate, steddyeddy is a zoologist too I think, but he finds the Bigfoot evidence compelling ! Interesting to see two zoologists thrashing it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

yekahS wrote:
    There are more species being discovered now than ever before.

Sadly there are more species undergoing extinction now than ever before too. :( If it exists, let hope it's verified before it meets such a fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

yekahS wrote: »

My impression is that the species that are being discovered every day are either plant species or smaller (much smaller) animal species. Something equivalent in size to a very large human being wandering around without leaving *any* traces? Possibly, but is so highly unlikely that it's probably best not to bother worrying about it (and being pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be true).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

people who live in the small and densley populated areas of Northern Europe or other industrialised urbanised areas seem to have no grasp of the VASTNESS of Wilderness out there that remains unexplored.

take somewhere reasonably well mapped like Australia, the point where SA, NSW and QLD meet is called camerons corner, its fairly obvious on a map and you can drive right out to it in the right conditions and with the Right vehicle, its 2-3 days of a mostly comfortable drive from Brisbane, Yet more people have stood at the either of the Magnetic Poles than have been to that point.

Advertisement