Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Southern Trail

Options
  • 24-03-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about this http://www.southerntrail.net/
    Its a 53 mile stretch of the old limerick/tralee railway line.
    I'm in West Limerick for the Weekend and looking for somewhere nice to get my long Sunday run in.
    This could be ideal but I've no idea what the surface is like, trail/dirt/paved/still have rail tracks (!)?
    If it is suitable does anyone know if there is a leisure/sports centre on the trail that I could shower in.
    Appreciate any insight or alternatives for nice long runs in the west limerick area; really spoilt by the Phoenix Park.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

I sent an email to the ppl who manage this trail and got this reply, I'm posting it here for anyone else interested. I've looked at a few photos of this route and it looks really nice.
    The best part of the trail to run would be from the old railway
    yard/station now the railway bar in abbeyfeale as far as barnagh near
    newcastlewest ,
    this section dosent have any gates hindering your run,its about 8
    miles each way so if you park up in the railway bar yard run to
    barnagh and back its 16 miles altogether..its mostly flat but has
    inclines in places.
    the surface is rolled limestone which is well settled after being
    completed some 6 yrs back.. lots of people run it..
    as far as showers are concerned none are available unless you go to
    the devon inn hotel just off the run in templeglantine.
    Hope this has been of some help to you

@mods I don't mean to be flagging a dead donkey here (replying twice to a post I started) but following what I've found out about this trail, does anyone know what 'rolled limestone' is like to run on; the guy who responded to my mail said people did run on this track but if it was like gravel that would not be good in my mind and could probably do more harm than good whereas if it was like a cycle track it would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I have no idea, but a quick google for rolled limestone gives me that page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dargaville_Aerodrome

They have a "rolled limestone" runway; I very much doubts it would be like gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

An examination of the photos in the gallery on the website shows a fairly level, decent surface.

I'm pretty picky about running surfaces - gonna give this a shot on Sunday and will report back on conditions underfoot and also about any shower amenities nearby (if I find any).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WestLimerickAC

How's it going,

The surface is perfect for running. Have done many sessions and long runs on it. Doesn't have any rail tracks on it anymore and the gravel / limestone is ideal. Its a pity it isnt used more to be honest.
    Dont think you will find any showers though. You'll have to have a shower in a can.
    While the run from abbeyfeale towards newcastle west is nice i rather running from templeglantine (village between ncw and abbey) back towards abbeyfeale. I park behind the Halla Inse Bhán opposite the church. If you go up this backroad about 500m you get onto the railway and go left you head towards Abbeyfeale. You go along a gorgeous tree lines way and then by an old railway house that is being done up. You also have views of the windmills towards Tour na Fola. Its about 6 miles from here to Abbeyfeale.
    Enjoy it!

Many thanks WestLimerickAC for getting back with that first hand experience, I'll definitely try the route you suggest, really looking forward to it now.

Really enjoyed this run, did exactly as WestLimerickAC advised, from the car park in Halla Inse Ban to Abbeyfeale is 6 miles exactly. I did the return trip to clock 12. Its slightly downhill towards Abbeyfeale and the surface gets slightly better towards Abbeyfeale but it is ideal for running, not a car in sight and beautiful scenery all around. Its a novelty running under railway bridges and running by railway stations; well done to the voluntary group that have created this super trail.
    It was a funny day, very foggy and cold on Sunday, I will return to do it on a brighter day as I'd say the views are great. Had a big Sunday Roast and a pint of milk afterwards in the Devon Inn in Templeglantine afterwards ... magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Limerick Rebel

I walked this section yesterday (one way) and it is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Watch out for trains, you don't want this happening, although it would double as speed work :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

I've cycled on this trail a few times, there is about 25km in total from Abbeyfeale to Ardagh. Its really good especially the bit from Templeglantine to Abbeyfeale as there are no gates.

I heard another section of the trail is due to open soon, as far as Rathkeale, any know anything about that?

WestLimerick AC - ever think about organising a 10km run on the old rail trail? or a duathlon perhaps??

WestLimerick AC - ever think about organising a 10km run on the old rail trail? or a duathlon perhaps??

Or an ultra over the entire length ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adventurer10

Sounds good but as far as I'm aware not quiet long enough yet for an ultra, only 35km of the trail is open so far, could be enough for a marathon, adding a bit of road if necessary

Sounds good but as far as I'm aware not quiet long enough yet for an ultra, only 35km of the trail is open so far, could be enough for a marathon, adding a bit of road if necessary

Yeah, I know.

Having said that, if the whole 53 mile stretch becomes doable one day and they organise an ultra, I'd be there in a flash!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My thoughts exactly, could do it now and turnaround at the end of the trail and go back to the start. Shall we start organising it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

My thoughts exactly, could do it now and turnaround at the end of the trail and go back to the start. Shall we start organising it? :D

On your marks, set, GO.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Go on ya! I have a cone for the turn around point. That my bit done :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Humdmale

I cycled the 'Great' Southern Trail last weekend, well part of it anyway. I was on a road bike but I'd say it's better suited to an off-roader. Far too many gates on it for my liking (and some that look like they were built by a first year in secondary school!).

Does anyone know why the trail runs through a farmer's yard?? I had to open a gate, wade through cowshi*e in a private yard to the bemusement of the cattle in the shed, before restating the trail again. Only in Ireland! #WTF!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I ran from Newcastle West to the Kerry Border (where the gravel trail abruptly ends) and back for a nice leisurely 50km (and a bit for safe keeping) today with two first time 50k-ers.
    The trail is great, the gates are really only a problem near the populated areas and the surface is ideal for running.
    The route is flat with only one incline at about the 7-9km from Newcastle West and even that isn't too bad.
    The scenery is nice, one section in particular lined with mature trees so is a nice tranquil place.
    Abbeyfeale might be a better start / finish point as there is a longer uninterrupted (by gates) section which allows some steady running.
    The most recently completed section from Abbeyfeale station to the Kerry border needs to settle in a bit, the surface is loosely rolled, dry and level but more difficult to run on, give it a year of weathering and it will be perfect.
    When Kerry C.C. get their act together and finish the great work done in Limerick (and as a Cork Man that's something I never say :D), it will be a great long distance route.
    I would highly recommend it, a great (windy) run.
    Given how windy it was today there is great shelter, apart from the few sections near the road and one part that is an exposed embankment.

Route on Garmin Connect
    Pic: Click it to Big it
    dscn1321v.th.jpg

Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

looks an ideal route for the long run for marathon. it'll have to be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Corcaigh70

Hi, I am taking a group of 5 young kids cycling on the trail shortly as I feel it would be a safe place for them, my only concern is that if a couple of them get ahead of me are they exposed to any road crossing (traffic) and could find themselves in danger.
    Would be grateful for a quick reply as going there 2moro Friday.
    P.S
    Will do about 20 km each way, which part is recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Start at abbeyfeale side might be possible to do a 10km out and back for 20 with np major road crossings. Flattish part as well. All crossong are gated and no main roads really as the main road is to the south the whole time. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Corcaigh70 wrote: »
    Hi, I am taking a group of 5 young kids cycling on the trail shortly as I feel it would be a safe place for them, my only concern is that if a couple of them get ahead of me are they exposed to any road crossing (traffic) and could find themselves in danger.
    Would be grateful for a quick reply as going there 2moro Friday.
    P.S
    Will do about 20 km each way, which part is recommended.

I'd expect that any road crossings have a barrier to be negotiated. Be worth reiterating the rules to the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Corcaigh70

Thanks for the info. Went out yesterday with 6 kids and we all had a great time.
    Would recommend it to anyone and will definitely use this trail more often as it's safe and has a good surface and the lads eat plenty of berries along the trail which was a bonus :-)

Advertisement