Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYE and other deductions

Options
  • 24-03-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

OK so I am a little green when it comes to this sort of thing so hopefully someone can help me out a little.............

Basically I started a new job recently and I got emailed my pay slip for the two weeks worked (i left mid month) in my previous job. Now it seems that my PAYE contributions are higher than my actual earnings. I also noticed when I went over previous pay slips that they never payed any PAYE for several months prior to the new year and then I got a sh*tload taken from me in my Jan pay.

Then in the bottom right corner it has net pay €xxxx. This seems to be my gross pay€xxx + the figure in the total deductions box €xxx??

Surely if it is a deduction it is not added to gross pay to make net pay?

Any and all help appreciated,

frAg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Not sure I follow what you are saying. However, I suggest that you ring payroll in former employment and ask them to explain it. I would also look at your P60.

IF you are not satisfied, I would contact Revenue, to check what exactly your employer paid on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes it looks as if your tax details were not applied to your pay. I would contact the tax office as well as work. Did you hand in you P45 or tax cert when you started?

This happened to me and after not paying tax for 3 months I had to overpay for 2 years to pay it back!!

Make copies of all your payslips just in case they got lost.

Contact the tax office, see what you owe and get them to do you a new tax cert and send it to your new employer. this means at least you will have a few quid to live on for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 neimad07

im an employer and i pay a worker 350.00 per week take home, what would be the paye and prsi that i owe the revenue and the what would be the usc? for jan - mar 2011, thanks very much , and is there a difference if he is married or single?

d.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2 possibles.

A:Your old job ****ed you over by not paying tax on your behalf.
    B: your on emrgency tax as they have no record of your previous payments.

Ensure you get your P45 from old job into new job ASAP then go online and view your tax payments, no pointing ringing them they on a work to rule prolly wont answer the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

neimad07 wrote: »
    im an employer and i pay a worker 350.00 per week take home, what would be the paye and prsi that i owe the revenue and the what would be the usc? for jan - mar 2011, thanks very much , and is there a difference if he is married or single?

d.

Are you kidding??

If you are an employer, you should have been doing this since you started employing a employee.

On €350.00 per week, you would be required to pay Revenue 10.75% in PRSI (it then gets sent to DSP).

You are also required to deduct PAYE at a rate of 20% up to the employees Standard Rate Cut Off Point (SRCOP) as advised to you by Revenue, by way of a tax cert issued to either you (for the employee), or the employee directly. Any amount of payment over the SRCOP is taxable at 41%. Any tax credits issued (also on the cert) will be taken against tax (e.g. reduce it), and are applied on the same period as you pay the employees.

USC is also deducted from an employees pay. It is calculated at 2% on the first €10,000, 4% on the €16,000 and 7% on the remaining amount. This must also be deducted on the same period as the employee is paid.

You are required to remit all of this money to Revenue no later than the 15th of the month after paying. If not, you are charged interest and penalties.

With regard to tax credits, every employee will be different. The cert that you receive from Revenue will detail the details of their tax credits.

If you need any further help, PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement