Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brake Pad Alignment

• 24-03-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭

I recently changed over wheelsets and while looking the bike over last night noticed that the top of my brake pads on the back are up over the rim very slightly - the ones on the front seem fine. While they dont seem to be touching the side wall of the tyres (no sign of wear) im thinking i should maybe get the allen key out and move the brake pads so that they are centred on the rim breaking area? any thoughts? Looks like a quick allen key job that should take two mins from a quick inspection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yep. Go for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yes, very quick and very easy.

As your brakes wear they will probably end up hitting the sidewall anyway if they are that high up, best sort it now rather than forget and suffer the consequences (sounds menacing, I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Tau

How important is "toe in" when doing this? I tried to get some good toe in last time I replaced my brake pads, but its not easy, unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Thanks lads will sort it for the return journey home later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Tau wrote: »
    How important is "toe in" when doing this? I tried to get some good toe in last time I replaced my brake pads, but its not easy, unless I'm missing something?

Put a small allen key between edge of the break block and the rim and have the other edge of the break block touching the rim, then tighten the blocks in place, make sure your washers are clean so you can angle the brakes, you want about a 1mm or 2mm

• Advertisement
Advertisement