Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving job without notice

Options
  • 23-03-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

what are the negative repercussions of leaving a job without notice? If relations are bad and you don't want to say an extra week?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

you can be denied a good refernence

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

And also, possibly (but improbably) sued for breach of contract.

I take it that a reference isn't an issue if you're planning to bail out early - but do bear in mind that it is NOT illegal to give a bad reference. They just need to be able to back up anything they say that's negative.

Is an extra week really all that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

They may end up giving you a bad reference or even refuse to give you any (under Irish law, employers are not required to even give one). If the industry you work in is small, they will also likely badmouth you, and this may become a problem for you in the future.

They may also withhold your last salary payment, although I am not certain of the legality of this.

Legal action for breach of contract is probably unlikely, especially if you have no assets, but I still would not want to state that you won't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Would be very difficult to get a good reference, you may have trouble in getting back your p45 and your final pay and holiday pay accrued- not that they are legally entitled to do so, but it can be an awful lot of hassle added onto leaving on bad terms. I'd recommend giving notice since it's just a week.

Advertisement