Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gear addict....

Options
  • 23-03-2011 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Thankfully i don't mean heroin!! But I do believe I am addicted to buying new fishing gear and equipment.

I fished quite a bit when i was a lad then stopped for about 15 years. In the last year or so I have started to go fishing again and am now really enjoying it and am becoming somewhat fanatical about it!!!

I really really love my fishing. But I've noticed that one of my favourite parts of fishing is buying new gear. I had to start from scratch so have been building up my tackle box again over the last year or so.

I have to admit that there is so much cool stuff and gadgets out there that I can't contain myself in a tackle shop!!! It has gotten to the stage that I have to write down a list of the stuff that I need when I go to the tackle shop and try to get in and out as soon as possible because if I start to wander around I could be there all day and seriously out of pocket!!!

Does anyone else suffer from this terrible addiction?

Could we start a support group?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

yep.I go in to pick up a few bits and pieces and always come away with more than I intended to spend.If I see a tackle shop when I'm out and about I will always go in to have a browse and invariably end buying something,particularly flytying stuff.I think a support group would be a great idea.I'm starting to hide stuff all over the the house(behind the fish tank,down the back of the sofa etc).My wife found a grade 2 grizzle cock cape that I had stashed behind the cistern in the downstairs jacks while she was cleaning for the visit of an elderly relation(now deceased).After the initial shock from her and the subsequent denial from me,we decided to blame my addiction on the kids.If someone starts a support group I wiil be more than happy to send them for a few hours every night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Racha78

gear addict? I tought proper term is tackle tart :rolleyes: I should know ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

I am currently in recovery I havent bought anything since last season :rolleyes:. well except for this

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/search/8864-greys-gs-fly-box-3239.html

Oh and this

http://www.carrilon.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=544&products_id=572

and this

http://www.carrilon.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2674

herself got me this for christmas but that doesnt really count does it when it was a present :D

http://www.garryevans.co.uk/greys-grxi-stillwater-fly-fishing-outfit-3502-p.asp

Im getting smarter I have started firing the packaging into the bottom of the recycling bin or if I dont have time eating it!!!

So ya like i said havent bought anything lately ha ha ha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

have a few bits and bobs lying around now, eased off on buying new stuff for a while,
    here's a small itinerary of stuff I have lying about the place..

Rods:
    Daiwa moonraker supreme
    Ziplex 3500s
    Zziplex profile
    Ian Golds premier match
    Penn powerstix uptider 9'6"
    Fladen Maxximus boat 10lbs-20lbs class
    Leeda Quicksilver Spinning rod
    Berkely urban spirit spinning rod
    Generic fly rod

Reels:
    Penn 525 supermag extra
    Penn 525 mag
    Abu 6500 c3 ct
    Daiwa Sl20sh
    Daiwa Sl30sh (x2)
    Daiwa 7ht millionaire tournament (x3)
    Olympic boat reel
    Shakespear Sygma 080
    Shakespear firebird 35
    Okuma interceptor pro 65

Misc:
    breakaway tripod 6'
    Ian Golds large backpack (elite)
    leeda neoprene chest waders
    Fladen floatation suite 85N
    Imax white squall jacket (funnily enought its black and red)
    greys smock (x2) courtown harbour angling centre logo & Galway Bay S.A.C logo
    Greys Apollo extreme fleece
    Wetline Lifejackets automatic gas inflation with harness 165N(x2)

that should keep me going for a while I think!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

have a few bits and bobs lying around now, eased off on buying new stuff for a while,
    here's a small itinerary of stuff I have lying about the place..

Rods:
    Daiwa moonraker supreme
    Ziplex 3500s
    Zziplex profile
    Ian Golds premier match
    Penn powerstix uptider 9'6"
    Fladen Maxximus boat 10lbs-20lbs class
    Leeda Quicksilver Spinning rod
    Berkely urban spirit spinning rod
    Generic fly rod

Reels:
    Penn 525 supermag extra
    Penn 525 mag
    Abu 6500 c3 ct
    Daiwa Sl20sh
    Daiwa Sl30sh (x2)
    Daiwa 7ht millionaire tournament (x3)
    Olympic boat reel
    Shakespear Sygma 080
    Shakespear firebird 35
    Okuma interceptor pro 65

Misc:
    breakaway tripod 6'
    Ian Golds large backpack (elite)
    leeda neoprene chest waders
    Fladen floatation suite 85N
    Imax white squall jacket (funnily enought its black and red)
    greys smock (x2) courtown harbour angling centre logo & Galway Bay S.A.C logo
    Greys Apollo extreme fleece
    Wetline Lifejackets automatic gas inflation with harness 165N(x2)

that should keep me going for a while I think!!?
    Would there be any chance that you could bring my kids when you go to the meetings.It gives me more time to buy stuff!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Have about 50 rods 30 reels, and so much other gear its a joke.. selling some on adverts now to make room for 2 custom built rods :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

This thread should be named, "The thread that makes you feel like you have fcuk all gear" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

My name is Paul and I'm a tackle tart!

Half of the house is fishing gear it's becoming a joke!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

shblob wrote: »
    Have about 50 rods 30 reels, and so much other gear its a joke.. selling some on adverts now to make room for 2 custom built rods :)

i know that feeling..
    the ian golds and the two zipplex are all custom made for me, the three of them replaced 15 rods :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

Hi Paul welcome,thanks for sharing
    :)
    Macspower wrote: »
    My name is Paul and I'm a tackle tart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

Thank God i'm not alone......

Here is my version of the fisherman's 12 steps....

We admitted we were powerless over our love of going fishing and our lives had become unmanageable.

Came to believe that the love of going fishing was greater than ourselves and nothing but going fishing could restore us to sanity.

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of the next fish that graced our net and was returned safe and sound to the water from whence he came.

Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of our tackle boxes and realised that there is so much more cool fishing tackle that we must buy..

Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being that we would never... never tell anybody about the exact location of that sweet sweet swim we found by chance last year where we bagged up like a mother ****er..

Were entirely ready to have mother nature reduce us to shivering wimps as we sat by the river bed close to tears as we blanked and blanked and blanked again but still looked forward to the next session.

Made a list of all persons who had caught bigger fish that us, and became willing to do what ever it takes to beat their personal bests.

Made direct amends to our Wives in the vain hope that some day they might forgive for us for all our fishing transgressions over the years.

Continued to take personal inventory of all our personal fishing methods and and techniques and when we were wrong and caught bugger all, promptly admitted that we were talking out of our arse holes, copied the guy we just saw catch that bigger fish and then bought more tackle.

Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with the rivers, lakes and seas we all see around us, praying only for one once chance ... just once chance .... to bag .. not only a specimen......but the biggest God damned fish that has ever been caught.....

My Name is Johnny Favourite and I have a Problem.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

When your grandchild falls asleep on the floor of the tackle shop as you rummage through boxes of flies.

You are in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Whats the most amount of rods you own that you have never used ?

Im on 5 which is modest enough compare to some Tackle Tarts

1 spinning
    2 float/quiver tip
    2 Fly rods

i only use 7 rods a year now, so, my carping, quiver tip, fly rods and spinning rods rarely get used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

2 x Carp rods
    2 x Light specimen rods for tench/bream
    2 x Pike Deadbait Rods
    1 x Tench Float Rod
    1 x 5m Whip
    1 x Medium Feeder Rod
    1 x Medium Jerk Bait Lure Rod
    1 x Spod Rod
    1 x Marker Float Rod
    1 x Fly Rod

I've some older stuff as well that's not used anymore or my family use if we all head out together, but its rare a season goes by that I don't get around to using all of the ones on the list above. Next on the shopping list is a 15ft light waggler rod and an 11 meter Pole. I think that will do me for this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Does anyone else suffer from this terrible addiction?

Could we start a support group?

I'm hopeless case.
    Over last 5 yeras bought around 2-3 sets of reel+rod which never seen water and another 5 or six rods which II'm using less than 5 times per year
    (same with plug baits- buying them for the way they look ;P
    at the moment I'm considering buying van just to have all gear handy and save myself draging it back and forth between house and car...
    and it just getting worst (got a lake boat now it's time for all of those spare wheels, fishfinders, life vests, rod holders, cup holders you name it ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The real curse isn't buying gear. It's bringing every bit of gear with you because you think there might be a situation where you'll need it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

Agree with above 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The real curse isn't buying gear. It's bringing every bit of gear with you because you think there might be a situation where you'll need it all

this is so true and part of the disease...

what you need to buy is a trolly so you can carry all the gear... then you'll realise you have more room on the trolly so you can carry more gear... then you realise you have no more room so you need a bigger trolly..

soon you'll need one of these.

matchcraftplatform.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement