Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Services Engineering

Options
  • 23-03-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi folk just wondering if i could get your opinion on something.
    Im currently in the second year of this course (Although its my first year in college went in through advanced entry) but i remember on the opening day in kevin st that they were saying there was (up to a year ago if i remember correctly) very good graduate employment opportunities.
    I currently know people in the third and additional fourth year of this course and rumour has it that everyone is struggling to even get an interview in both years.
    Myself and the class mates were discussing it the other day and our optimism really isnt good! we have kind of come to the conclusion that we're probably going to end up back on the dole (god forbid)!
    Just wondering what the opinions are of current engineers out there at the moment? any replies would be appreciated!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

my friend did that course and he skipped first year as he was a qualified electrician.

he is now doing a 1 year energy management course which he went straight into after finishing the electrical services course.

i think the people in his course who got jobs did so in other countrys. i cant be exact on the numbers though.

alot also went on to further study i.e. the energy management course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 One of the greats

Hi 00MARTZ00,

I graduated from this course in 2007 and I was looking enough to get employment up until October 2010, when I was made redundant.

Lucky I am back working, but overseas now.

Anyway onto your question, I take it your a sparks due to you starting on the second year of the course (like myself). The prospects in Ireland at the moment for ESE graduates is nearly non existent, but Mercury do a graduate programme every year, get your application in early and ESBi/ESB networks do too, but you will have to go on to a level 8 degree.

Employers will defo prefer sparks graduates over just graduates so that's to your advantage.

Personal if I was you, after this year I would change course, maybe something more related to manufacturing or pharmaceutical industry.

Hope this helps

O.O.T.G

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭00MARTZ00

Thanks for the replies folks.

hi OOTG your right i was a sparks i was planning on doing the level 8 of the course aswell. only problem with changing the course would be the fact i really dont think i would have any interests in these areas and that would worry me because i dont know if i would put the effort into something im not really interested in if you know what i mean? plus i dont have a leaving cert so i dont even know if would be able to get into the course.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I currently know people in the third and additional fourth year of this course and rumour has it that everyone is struggling to even get an interview in both years.

From what I can see this course is aimed primarily at electricians. By allowing advanced entry an electrician can get an accredited level 7 in just 2 years. Consequently the majority of students on this course are time served electricians with only a handful of people taking 3 years to complete the course.

During the construction boom many graduates from this course have done very well from it, but since around 2006 from what I can see there appears to be very little work in this area.
    Posts like this from this thread illustrate just how desperate the situation is.

In 2009 I was talking to several students that were in the final year of this course (DT010) and they told me that they were struggeling to get interviews. One of them was lucky enough to get a job with ESBI. They encouraged him to complete a level 8 at night.
    I would change course, maybe something more related to manufacturing or pharmaceutical industry.
    +1
    Personally I would change courses.
    only problem with changing the course would be the fact i really dont think i would have any interests in these areas and that would worry me because i dont know if i would put the effort into something im not really interested in
    I am also a qualified electrician that went back to college. It was suggested to me that if I selected a course that focused on an area such as control and automation that I would have a much better chance of gaining employment. As it happens I find PLCs fascinating and have been lucky enough to be employed in this area since graduating not so long ago. Much of this work is in the pharmaceutical sector.
    i dont have a leaving cert so i dont even know if would be able to get into the course.
    Once you have a level 7 degree getting onto a level 8 course should not be an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Advertisement