Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ammunition from the German ship "The Aud"

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

A few years ago I worked with a guy who was big into his scuba diving. He knew of my interest in Irish history and told me he planned to dive on the wreck of the German ship "The Aud" which carried Roger Casement and some 20,000 rifles and ammo to Ireland in 1916. The ship was sank by the British off the Banna Strand. So I have 4 bullets that were recovered from the wreck and I have cleaned them up with some vinegar. Does anyone know if they would have any worth other than the sentimental worth to myself?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Not sure of the value but I'd be into them if you don't want them !

I think single rounds of ammunition will not be very valuable. Also the provenance would need to be rock solid as there is a common saying in collecting militaria 'never buy the story, buy the item'. I would be interested in seeing the pics if you have any ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

Thanks, I keep saying that ill make up a display case for them accompanied by the story of the ship and Casement but just havent got round to it yet. Yes your probably right about proving the story, I wonder if there is someone who could verify their origin. Might take some pics later and put them up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi,

first, are you sure that these rounds are "empty" and completely deactivated?

Secondly, please note that no buying or selling of any firearms-related material is permitted on the forums.

I would also advise you to inform yourself of the firearms regulations and see if these rounds will fall under the current legislation. Live ammo does require a fireamrs licence.

The guys here may be able to tell you more about the legalities:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=466

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I know a guy who has dived the Aud and if memory serves me right has her compass.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tonysea

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi,

first, are you sure that these rounds are "empty" and completely deactivated?

Secondly, please note that no buying or selling of any firearms-related material is permitted on the forums.

I would also advise you to inform yourself of the firearms regulations and see if these rounds will fall under the current legislation. Live ammo does require a fireamrs licence.

The guys here may be able to tell you more about the legalities:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=466

Thanks, no the rounds are not empty they're definately live. And Im not offering them for sale just curious of the value if any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

tonysea wrote: »
    Thanks, no the rounds are not empty they're definately live. And Im not offering them for sale just curious of the value if any.

In that case I would advise you to look into the legality of being in possession of these rounds.

Until then I would suggest no further discussion of the topic here. Once the legality issue has been dealt with you can contact me or arnhem44 about opening the discussion again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement