Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost bog due to not cutting turf.

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,

A question you maybe able to help me with.
    A friend informed me that he has "Lost" his bog as he didn't cut any turf in it for a few years.
    I didn't know this could happen but it did start me thinking about our own bog where we haven't cut turf for two years.
    So the question is can you lose your bog and if so, how often do you have to cut turf (and how much turf) to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Hi all,

A question you maybe able to help me with.
    A friend informed me that he has "Lost" his bog as he didn't cut any turf in it for a few years.
    I didn't know this could happen but it did start me thinking about our own bog where we haven't cut turf for two years.
    So the question is can you lose your bog and if so, how often do you have to cut turf (and how much turf) to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

We own our own bog, but there is bogland beside ours on which a substantial number of people from the local parish have turf cutting rights. (most are from the local village and have no land but their families have been cutting there for the last 100 years) They don't own this land - it is owned by a nearby farmer. But they have a right to cut turf on it once per year until their turf supply runs out.

I don't know if there is any time frame on the agreement which would mean that if someone didn't cut turf on their bank for a certain number of years then they would lose their right to cut on that bog. But perhaps its written into the agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

What do you mean by "lost"?
    Has somebody else taken it over ?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Shorty69664

Honestly I'm not sure.
    I think it is that someone has taken it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

One would lose their turbary rights if the bog was not cut once in 5 years. We have been getting turf closer to home the last few years but cut about 40 sods 3 years ago with the lovely slane just to hold the turbarry rights. We bought them out in 1997 so would be dissapointing to let them go. Laws can change though so don't hold me to that:) 99% sure I'm right though.

Honestly I'm not sure.
    I think it is that someone has taken it over.
    Squatters rights probably. Ours was fenced too but that was cut fairly lively:mad: New age Landlords.

• Advertisement

kay 9 wrote: »
    One would lose their turbary rights if the bog was not cut once in 5 years. .

I've never heard of this law before, do you have any idea where you heard of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kay 9 wrote: »
    One would lose their turbary rights if the bog was not cut once in 5 years. We have been getting turf closer to home the last few years but cut about 40 sods 3 years ago with the lovely slane just to hold the turbarry rights. We bought them out in 1997 so would be dissapointing to let them go. Laws can change though so don't hold me to that:) 99% sure I'm right though.

Kay 9, you're right.
    But the number of years that need to pass before you lose your turbary rights will vairy depending on the agreement. In some cases it can be 5 years. In others, it can be 15.

reilig wrote: »
    Kay 9, you're right.
    But the number of years that need to pass before you lose your turbary rights will vairy depending on the agreement. In some cases it can be 5 years. In others, it can be 15.

It probably depends on individual agreemets. I own bog on which the old Land Commission bought turbary rights and then assigned them out to individuals. To the best of my knowledge there is no time limit that might cause loss of the turbary right.

Milton09 wrote: »
    I've never heard of this law before, do you have any idea where you heard of it?
    I'll ask the ould fella tomorrow evenin and see how he found out. I think he called the land commision if I'm not mistaken.

Milton09 wrote: »
    It probably depends on individual agreemets. I own bog on which the old Land Commission bought turbary rights and then assigned them out to individuals. To the best of my knowledge there is no time limit that might cause loss of the turbary right.
    Hi Milton, I would find out more about that if you are leaving it idle for a time. It's best to be sure because it would be a real sickener to lose rights to something as important as fuel in these times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

a question for you folks, we recently aquired a bog through inheritance, now we have cut it and and i'm wondering is there any reason/law which would stop us from cutting it again in the next month of so , thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

No, not on an my bog anyway. Its not viable for us though because it means getting the machine back just for just one plot and I would have to pay the transport costs.
    The days are now getting shorter and in a months time noticeably so which makes it even more important that you get the right weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

thanks O.A.P appreciate your response, might leave it until next year and get it cut earlier , and then see if i can get a second cut off it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Toney Ryan

our bog is closed for cutting because of wild birds preserve , wild life ect, where can I get compensation forms from some of my local people have done so , when I asked them they said it was too late, is this true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Send these land grabbers a solicitor's letter ASAP. Go back on your own bog this year. You'll find a few of these guys in every parish, but they only try it on with soft targets. stand them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

thanks O.A.P appreciate your response, might leave it until next year and get it cut earlier , and then see if i can get a second cut off it .

Cutting turf is normally a once a year job. I've never heard of anyone taking 2 cuts in one year. Cut it early and cut what you want in one lot. Unless you nearly no ground to spread on or are intending to get a commercial amount of turf there's no real advantage to splitting the cut.

The men a few plots from me did last year and it worked out fine.
    How they knew the sun was never going to stop all summer I don't know.
    I don't have enough courage to gamble 4 or 500 euros anyway.
    Ill never be rich I suppose with an attitude like that but I wont be a tramp either.

O.A.P wrote: »
    The men a few plots from me did last year and it worked out fine.
    How they knew the sun was never going to stop all summer I don't know.
    I don't have enough courage to gamble 4 or 500 euros anyway.
    Ill never be rich I suppose with an attitude like that but I wont be a tramp either.
    It's a lot of extra hassle and probably cost though. You have to get the machinery in twice. If you cut early enough unless turf is sitting in water you will get enough good weather to save one lot. If you cut early enough you could have the first lot home and cut a second lot but it's tight enough of an average year.
    You claim not to be a gambler but what you're suggesting sounds the opposite.

Edit: Sorry OAP I thought you were advocating cutting twice but I see it's Banzai

It's a lot of extra hassle and probably cost though. You have to get the machinery in twice. If you cut early enough unless turf is sitting in water you will get enough good weather to save one lot. If you cut early enough you could have the first lot home and cut a second lot but it's tight enough of an average year.
    You claim not to be a gambler but what you're suggesting sounds the opposite.

Edit: Sorry OAP I thought you were advocating cutting twice but I see it's Banzai
    I have often thought about cutting twice and last year it would have worked out fine.
    When the weather forecast is 100% right we could go for it. They would be able to tell us what sort of winter we are going to get too .
    I have a lot of turf left over this year, I have to burn it !!!!!!!!

O.A.P wrote: »
    I have often thought about cutting twice and last year it would have worked out fine.
    When the weather forecast is 100% right we could go for it. They would be able to tell us what sort of winter we are going to get too .
    I have a lot of turf left over this year, I have to burn it !!!!!!!!

Your not Conmaicne Maras dad by any chance. He loves hardship.
    Seriously though it might have worked last year but the early part of the year was bad. I think too much good weather came too close together for it to work unless you have nothing else to do. Again why not cut enough early in one go and chances are you will get it before the end of the summer even in a bad year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cutting turf is normally a once a year job. I've never heard of anyone taking 2 cuts in one year. Cut it early and cut what you want in one lot. Unless you nearly no ground to spread on or are intending to get a commercial amount of turf there's no real advantage to splitting the cut.

We cut twice a year whenever we can

Advertisement