Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for jobs while in a job

Options
  • 23-03-2011 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭

so i want to apply for jobs and apprenticeships and im currently in a job . my current job dont know that i have been looking for a job . so who can i put down for referee's as i've only been in one job previous to my current job

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Normally prospective employers won't contact your current employer for a reference check unless they're willing to offer the job. Occasionally of course this isn't what happens and some fool will drop you in it with your current employer but that's a risk you take I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's not standard to include referees on your CV anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

keane2097 wrote: »

its not my cv its online applications for apprenticeships

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

keane2097 wrote: »
    +1

Most of the time I do leave mine off my CV and just include "referees available on request". There of no use to the employer until they've interviewed you and want to offer you a job anyway.

byrner88 wrote: »
    In that case I'd say you'll just have to include them and trust that the person dealing with the CVs isn't a fool.

byrner88 wrote: »

Just put "References available upon request".

EDIT:

What he said.
    Most of the time I do leave mine off my CV and just include "referees available on request". There of no use to the employer until they've interviewed you and want to offer you a job anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I have the same problem, am still applying for better jobs all the time but afraid of them ringing up my present employers and landing me in it.

CVs are fine, but when you fill in an online application form referee requests are standard. I just left out my present employer but made sure to point out that I currently have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I do not see why your employer knowing you are looking for another job is so bad.
    Most employers are constantly reviewing their suppliers and employees for ways they can get things done cheaper or better.

Most employees should be doing similar, looking for a better job, shorter hours more richer experience etc....as their working life progresses.

Most higher performers will be constantly reviewing their position and be ready to move to better things as offers develop.

I have known some managers try to hold people back but they are usually the insecure, low performers in their peer group and are usually superceded by their superiors if the employee is any good and is in high demand.

doolox wrote: »
    I do not see why your employer knowing you are looking for another job is so bad.
    Most employers are constantly reviewing their suppliers and employees for ways they can get things done cheaper or better.

Most employees should be doing similar, looking for a better job, shorter hours more richer experience etc....as their working life progresses.

Most higher performers will be constantly reviewing their position and be ready to move to better things as offers develop.

I have known some managers try to hold people back but they are usually the insecure, low performers in their peer group and are usually superceded by their superiors if the employee is any good and is in high demand.

This is not how real world employers behave unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

They do in their arse hesitate to recruit currently employed individuals!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

“I’d better jack in this job before I look for another. It’s going to cost me a good few hundred quid to do so, but that’s the way it is…..”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ancient thread resurrected by a ChatGPT bot anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's absolute hogwash. It's perfectly normal to apply for a new position while still employed elsewhere.

That said, the entire post reads like a chatbot.

Advertisement