Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gentlemen's Compendium - First Topic

Options
  • 23-03-2011 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

We've been discussing on another thread regarding setting up a little library of sorts, all related to the art and science of being a modern (gentle)man.

In order to choose the first topic of discussion, I've created this poll. We'll leave it open for a few days and then work from there.

After we choose a subject we can put down an OP and let things flow.
    1. After shaves and Fragrances for men
    2. Buying/Wearing/Looking after suit
    3. Interviews
    4. Shop suggestions for buying all items Gentlemanly
    5. Buying a goodf pair of shoes & How to properly polish boots/shoes
    6. Hand shakes & Greetings
    7. Checking yourself for testicular cancer - Facts & Figures also
    8. Getting STI checkups and what's involved
    9. I have to cook dinner for a girl tonight, recommend me something to cook
    10. How to create your own cinema room
    11. General man skills

What Should Be Our First Topic? 37 votes

After shaves and Fragrances for men
    0% 0 votes
    Buying/Wearing/Looking after suit
    13% 5 votes
    Interviews
    32% 12 votes
    Shop suggestions for buying all items Gentlemanly
    2% 1 vote
    Buying a good pair of shoes & How to properly polish boots/shoes
    13% 5 votes
    Hand shakes & Greetings
    0% 0 votes
    Checking yourself for testicular cancer - Facts & Figures also
    8% 3 votes
    Getting STI checkups and what's involved
    10% 4 votes
    I have to cook dinner for a girl tonight, recommend me something to cook
    5% 2 votes
    How to create your own cinema room
    8% 3 votes
    General man skills
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I don't know if this is a poll only, or discussion regarding the poll. I went for the buying a suit option first though, let's not start too heavy or too light :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Voted for the suit care option too.I suck at looking after clothes so after spending over 300 quid on a suit last week I could do with some pointers on less obvious aspects of care.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i think all the options suggested were great, so I'd say we get to them all in turn. If we cover all 11, then thats definitely a sign that this is providing a benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Dr Galen wrote: »
    If we cover all 11, then thats definitely a sign that this is providing a benefit

Just for the record - will we be covering the one's with no votes thus far? I know I voted for the subject I wanted covered first but I really think the checking for testicular cancer topic would be of great benefit - would hate to see it not covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Even those with no votes thus far can be covered.Things like testicular care are something EVERY bloke should be aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Caveat: I've not read the other thread (yet).

Who gets to write the articles or are they to be a horse designed by a committee?
    Great idea though. Looking forward to them.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I was thinking that each thread would end up with a "superthread" like feel, with hints and tips posted by users in the thread, so we would be looking at having lots of input from anyone who has a bit of knowledge on the subject at hand. There would be room for questions to be asked by readers in each thread also. Thats why I would be hoping to have Mods and Users from other crossover forums involved, like get the fashion & appearance heads involved in the suit thread, this in turn might help drive some new traffic to their respective forums and vice versa.

We could have a summary post in each thread, setting out the best hints,tips, questions and answers so that for a quick scan, people wouldn't have to trawl lots of pages. I was thinking that we could use the OP or the second post for this purpose.

I'd say there is likely to be a better way to do this than I'm suggesting, or some new way might come along as this progresses though. So if anyone can think of anything add it to the other thread for consideration and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

7 & 8 could be done in one post. If number 7 was made into a thread you'd prob have to moderate it very heavily. Number 9 is a bit of a dismissal of the gays of TGC:pac:

7 & 8 could be done in one post. If number 7 was made into a thread you'd prob have to moderate it very heavily. Number 9 is a bit of a dismissal of the gays of TGC:pac:

I disagree on your point regarding 7 & 8. Keeping these separate would be very important to my mind. They are pretty unrelated tbh, well, other than they can affect the genital region. For STD's alone there is a whole ream of information that people should be aware of.

As for what you say regarding 9, i agree, so we need to be aware of this and make sure that topics are as inclusive as possible. I'm sure there will be "straight" topics that come up though, and I'd really hope that there would be also be "gay" topics to counterbalance. Obviously there will be topics that have relevance to all men, regardless of any sexual preferences. Good point BOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I disagree on your point regarding 7 & 8. Keeping these separate would be very important to my mind. They are pretty unrelated tbh, well, other than they can affect the genital region. For STD's alone there is a whole ream of information that people should be aware of.

Actually meant one post each, just I don't think a thread would be neccesary, and in the case of number 7, gonna end up with a lot of "do I have cancer" questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Obviously nine can apply to just about anyone...

Another one that is handy is the best man speech although the football365 forum has a great thread on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

:eek: nothing about shaving??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

:eek: nothing about shaving??

We have the Facial Hair & Hats forum for that. I'm going to be doing some new FAQ's for the forum soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ah ok I didn't know it was all brand new

Obviously nine can apply to just about anyone...

Another one that is handy is the best man speech although the football365 forum has a great thread on that one!

public speaking tips in general would be a good one though

We have a winner it seems, with "General Man Tips"

Close run thing in fairness.

I wasn't too keen on this topic at the start, but cold raise lots of interesting topics for further discussion, bot as part of this and in the wider forum.

I'll get to creating the thread now, gimme a minute :)

Advertisement