Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build (All round/Entertainment)

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I've done my research. Replaced components multiple times and think I've settled on my ideal build! The dream is for it to handle HD content, (blu-rays eventually), mainly casual games (Sims 3/lower MMOs). The most demanding might be Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood! My original budget was ~400 but now 550-600!
    Here's what I plan so far! Let me know what you think and what should be changed.
    Also I'm using Dabs.ie because overall it worked out cheaper!

CPU: Phenom II X4 955
    Mobo: ASRock 890GX
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream II 600W
    Case: EZCool A180D
    HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Blue (SATA-600, 32MB, 7200rpm)
    Memory: Kingston 4GB HyperX 1600MHz
    Cooling: 2 x Xilence Red Wing 120mm
    Disc Drive: Sony 24x SATA
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5670 1GB

I'm pretty settled on the board, cpu, hdd and disc drive!
    For GPU I'm also looking at the 5770 by Sapphire and XFX.
    The XFX comes with two games (which I can hopefully sell off or something) but has no HDMi/VGA port. I've an old monitor and new TV that'll have to do for the time-being. TV most likely has DVI though!

Eventually I might upgrade the GPU but that's years down the line when I pretty much HAVE to!

I'd like a separate HDD for the OS but seeing as I'd save like EUR5 it's not worth getting 2!

How's that look so far? I may have made a total mess (GPU not compatible or something) but that's why I'm here! Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

What about the GTS 450?
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/best-value-palit-geforce-gts-450-783mhz-1gb-pci-e-hdmi-74ZL.html
    It wouldn't be quite as good as the 5770 but a good bit better than the 5670.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

Thanks Monotype. I've never even considered an NVIDIA before! Can this be SLI'd then or is that dependant on the motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That board is designed for crossfire with 2 AMD cards. However, you can do an SLI hack to use SLI on many crossfire boards.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=4620143
    Post #448 has it working with this board.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Be careful, even stock versions of that card seems to draw a lot more power than the HD5770 in most reviews (Toms seems to be back to their old ways again? :rolleyes: ). And if you think you'll need more power than a single card, get a bigger card. Messing with multi-GPU is a pain at the best of times and one that demands a lot of power and a needlessly big PSU to boot :o

Advertisement