Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Pakistan ODI series on the way

Options
  • 23-03-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cricket-irish-set-to-renew-rivalry-with-pakistan-2588957.html
    THE first fruits of Ireland's impressive labours at the World Cup are likely to be seen next week with the announcement of a one-day international (ODI) home series against Pakistan, to be played at the end of May.

Negotiations between Cricket Ireland and the Pakistanis are at an advanced stage, with a three-match series the most likely outcome, although one game in Belfast and one in Dublin is also a possibility.

End of may! That's pretty soon. Looking forward to seeing Pakistan for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Call me negative but I dont see it.

Pakistan are in the West Indies for 2 tests , 1 T20 & 5 ODI's in May only finishing May 24th

So I dont see them then flying on to Ireland end of May for 3 ODI's. I hope Im wrong but I just cant see it happening, certainly not in May anyway.

I wouldnt think that the Indo is the most authorative place for breaking International Cricket stories. Not a sniff of it on Cricinfo so I suspect there might be wishful thinking here based off some off the cuff comment made to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Timing seems a bit funny alright. All will be revealed one way or the other eventually I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If I'm not wrong all the major cricketing nation's schedule id fixed for 2-3 years in advance. How can they change it?

Hope they play though. Ireland needs to play more ODI series to make their mark in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Just read on BBC "Ireland announce they'll play Pakistan 2 one day games in Belfast - May 27th and 29th."

Source - http://twitter.com/@kevinhowellsbbc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭DonRosco

Ah, it's a shame they won't be doing one in Dublin. I'll probably nip up for the Sunday match anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Full credit to Pakistan for agreeing to play us twice, its great to finally get a series. Also I now know who I want to win the World Cup ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Remember Afridi played for us in, I think, 2006 or 2007 before last world cup. Obviously wants to come back for a few more Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

how much would tickets be for one of these matches?
    gonna stall up friday i reckon

Tickets for England game in Clontarf are €40 I think, so I suppose £30 to £35 for Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Where can you get the tickets for this??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Where can you get the tickets for this??

Not announced yet - usually TicketMaster.

great news.

I just hope we can do ourselves justice in these games by putting out a strong team.

These dates conflict with not one but two county championship rounds the last day of one and the first day of the next round, so Im worried we could be left with an Ireland A team playing.

Hope Im wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

D3PO wrote: »
    great news.

I just hope we can do ourselves justice in these games by putting out a strong team.

These dates conflict with not one but two county championship rounds the last day of one and the first day of the next round, so Im worried we could be left with an Ireland A team playing.

Hope Im wrong.

It's an ODI so we have rights concerning the players availability.

It's an ODI so we have rights concerning the players availability.

true but we have a history of being very generous to clubs when it comes to calling up players.

I do understand that if we are calling up players too often there is a dissencentive to employ irish cricketers in the English Domestic scene therefore impeeding possible growth of talent and future pro contracts for Irish players.

tricky situation for Cricket Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

D3PO wrote: »
    great news.

Hope Im wrong.

I sure hope so, remember the last time we put out an A team?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/325554.html

Awkward one for Cricket Ireland alright, but if we want to enhance our placing in the World rankings we have to put out our best team. Otherwise we might drop out of the top 10 and do damage to our chances of earning a place at the next World Cup. We cannot let the ICC have any excuse to omit us from full ODI status nor lose some of the momentum gained over the last 2 World Cups.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tickets on sale at 10am tomorrow, Thursday, via ticketmaster at £27.75 (incl booking fee)

Both matches now put back by 1 day due to some problem with flight schedules from W Indies, so on Sat and Mon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 xzid

Are they gonna play in Dublin ??? or just in Belfast ?

• Advertisement

Both in Belfast. Match V England in August is in Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Tickets are on sale on ticketmaster right now.
    If anyone's interested... and didn't know about it already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Warwickshire play Durham 24-27. No fixture 29. Porterfield and Rankin should be available for 2nd game at worst.

Surrey play Glam 24-27 and derby 29-June 01. This could rule Wilson out of both.

Sussex play oxford uni 24-27. Counties rarely play first XI in these games. Joyce should play the first game. Sussex play Yorks 29-June 01. Joyce won't play second ODI

Northants Play Leics 24-27 and Glam 29-01. Looks like Niall out of both.

Team for first game

Stirling
    Joyce (Cap)
    Botha
    K. O Brein
    White
    Mooney
    Cusack
    McCann (Wk)
    Johnston
    Dockrell if unfit West
    Eaglestone

Team for second game
    Stirling
    Porterfield (Cap)
    Botha
    K. O Brein
    White
    Mooney
    Cusack
    McCann (Wk)
    Johnston
    Dockrell If unfit West
    Rankin

The likes of Jones, Balbairne, Hall, Young and Poynter could be in around the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Cremated

Marshall should be able to play?...

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Cremated wrote: »
    Marshall should be able to play?...

I'd forgotten him :). Gloucs have no game on the 27th but play Essex 29-01. He could make a debut in the first ODI. Thinks he's eligible from the end of April? Would provide some stabilty into a depleted top 4 if he plays.

Advertisement