Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade target

Options
  • 23-03-2011 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi all! Anybody had any luck making a reliable target for long term use? I have shot at insulation foam before and it was quite good when I wasn't shooting much (thick blue plastic stuff, not the light yellow -eurothane that kingspan makes).
    The problem would be that I would now be looking to shoot about 1000 arrows a week, a lot of them at home and not in the local clubs, so I would need something to stand up to a high level of shooting, thin carbon arrows and all off a 44-45# draw weight on my fingers!

I suppose on the other side of things, are there any cheap and cheerful target bosses to be had that might stand up to this for more than say, 3 months?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

Hi Mr.X

I got a small butt from Keith in Archery Shop Ireland which I use at home and while I'm not shooting 1000 arrows a week it is standing up to the test of time very well.

Essentially it's just a smaller version of what we use in Liffey & Greenhills Archers...

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr X15

How much did the target cost you and what dimensions was it? Just really need something manageable and affordable as frankly anything I shoot would want to be cheap seeing as the act of using it is destructive. I have no problem paying out for expensive gear that is durable and does it's job well, but when I know full well that I'm going to be plowing arrows into something that it's gonna give up. Probably sooner rather than later. I'm sure most of ye out there would agree with me!
    Hi Mr.X

I got a small butt from Keith in Archery Shop Ireland which I use at home and while I'm not shooting 1000 arrows a week it is standing up to the test of time very well.

Essentially it's just a smaller version of what we use in Liffey & Greenhills Archers...

Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stephen.shortt

If I remember correctly it was 85 euro and is quite manageable. Light enough to put up on a kitchen chair (I put it at the front door and shoot down the hall from the sink).

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tonybodhran

Hi check this out, real easy and should cost you bugger all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJLaml6YYw&feature=related

Hi check this out, real easy and should cost you bugger all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXJLaml6YYw&feature=related

Now theres an idea alright! Thanks for that. Plenty of wood about and carpet can be found in just about any skip.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thats genius, Im going to make one when I finish my beginners course and get a proper bow.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thats genius, Im going to make one when I finish my beginners course and get a proper bow.

Great to see people getting started in the sport :) What kind of bow you looking to shoot? Traditional, recurve with sight or bare, or a compound?

Definitely Recurve, with a sight or not Im not sure yet. Its perfect because the house I just moved into has a really long thin kind of builders yard out the back with a stack of wood down the bottom I can lean it against.

Thargor wrote: »
    Definitely Recurve, with a sight or not Im not sure yet. Its perfect because the house I just moved into has a really long thin kind of builders yard out the back with a stack of wood down the bottom I can lean it against.

Sounds good, and quite lucky, only have about 10 meters myself which is why I was looking for something small but solid as a target.
    Are you in the market for a bow? I have my first one sitting around here somewhere. I was keeping it for my little brother but he seems to have lost interest altogether. Everyone I know who would be interested in a bow either has no money to buy it or in the mean time goes and buys one from somebody else! Pm me if you're interested. I'll send you on the details and then sure it's up to yourself if you want it.

Im planning on grabbing a proper intermediate or high-end beginners kit from one of the archery sites with a decent bow and one of those backpacks with the arrow tube up the side and all the accessories when I finish the course Mr X15 so I wont waste your time, thanks, its definitely a sport Im sticking with, kicking myself for not joining the society when I was in college a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sitka

Something else you might consider.
    I use a bag of old clothes from a charity shop, put the lot into a coal bag and pack it as tight as possible, tie the top of bag. I fire a compound bow set at 60/65lbs at it.
    Get about 3 weeks out of a bag, transfer the clothes to new bag as necessery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

What is the minimum distance that you would use for practicing at home, for that practice to be of value?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

I used to train in an apartment with the long rod nearly touching the target. You can get fitness training or work on technique at any distance.

Advertisement