Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bats out in the middle of the day

Options
  • 23-03-2011 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

in glendalough the other day, was walking back through the miners village at about 1.30 pm and i saw a bat flying just above some boulders. it seemed to hunting. ive often seen them fly around catching flys outside my house in summer just before sundown and this bat in glendalough seemed to be flying in the same manner, i figure its unusual to see them this early in the day. just wondering if anyone had any info on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Nights are still cold especialy up in the mountains, so maybe there are no flying insects for them to eat after dark? They may have to hunt in daylight out of neccesity early in the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Seen daytime bats a few times, mostly Leislers in amongst the swallows!!

As H-c mentioned, the cold nights can force them feed by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I know this is an old thread but I saw a bat out today flying over the river corrib in galway.
    I was suprised to see one out in the daytime, if only I had my camera i could have gotten great shots of him.
    He was flying around catching flies over the water and collecting something off the water surface from time to time too (flies?)

Any idea what species it could have been, its august now so surely its not too cold at night for them to feed? (though it has been a terribly cold summer!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

He was flying around catching flies over the water and collecting something off the water surface from time to time too (flies?)
    Probably a Daubenton's bat then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It looked a good bit smaller than a swallow in size but I suppose it was still probably 20cm in wingspan.
    I've seen pipistrelles before that looked smaller than it but I've also seen some bats that looked considerably larger than it before too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Last August there was a bat flying around my garden, circling the house, for at least 2 hours. The swallows were not too happy and kept swooping at the bat but never making actual contact with it. I managed to get some video footage of it happening.
    No swallow in this capture.

Bat_a.png

Advertisement